Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannae - why bother with the cavalry?
Tim wrote:
I always assumed that to mean a single horizontal line or "rank" and that there were 3 lines in each maniple (Hastati, Princepes, and triarii)

Macedon and myself are referring to a line being made up of a different troop type. The hastati are one line but could consist of six ranks. In regard to the primary sources, I have found that when some writers describe a line of infantry, it actually can consist of two lines each 5 men deep. Because the troops are of the same type (example scutarii infantry), they are referred to as one line by the primary sources.

Tim wrote:
But, this obviously doesn't account for the view that the triarii were left back to guard the camp. if this were the case, then there would be only 2-line maniples, which still could have been stacked.

I have stated in the Cannae discussion that I believe the triarii are incorporated into the same body or line as the principes. The triarii form the last three ranks of the principes if the legion has a frontage of 200 men wide.

Macedon wrote:
Yes, what you are describing is practically a two "line" formation, one in wedge and one in line. This is what I mean.

Ok, I’m with you now. I wasn’t sure if you had envisaged my Carthaginian deployment as being in two horizontal lines.

Macedon wrote:
I find tactical issues extremely interesting and I am always eager to understand how other same-minded people understand them.

I’m a real nuts and bolts person. I want to examine the smallest component. It’s the small detail that makes the bigger picture. Also I am very interested in understanding command and control.

Macedon wrote:
The normal distance between lines in such multiple line formations is usually described in hundreds of yards and one thing all accounts have in common is that the auxiliary (rear) lines keep their shape and do not just follow the units in front of them, dissolving the integrity of their own lines in the process until they are called upon to reinforce the front either as units or as a whole line (again depends on theories and circumstances).

My research method involves putting such information as found in the military manuals, especially the Byzantium manuals about the distance between lines (100 or 200 feet), and then only use them when I can prove such information relates to the Romans. For example, the distances in Maurice may not be applicable to the Romans and by employing such information, which could appear to be correct, could end up creating a road block.

Macedon wrote:
To me, assuming that the rear line was present and that it had not already dispersed in flight, it would be impossible to effectively destroy the Roman first line, as the men in flight would find refuge in the second line or else the rear line would advance against the maneuvering Africans.

You are very influenced by Maurice and the Byzantine military manuals. They mention the first line being a good distance back and the first line should take refuge with the second line etc. At Zama the principes were in shouting distance of the hastati.

Macedon wrote:
I cannot see them so close to the front line in order to also be trapped by the Africans. Of course, many hypotheses could be voiced as to how things could fare in order for the outcome to be the same, but such action would be so critical that I would have expected some relative mentioning in the accounts.

Now we are back to the translation. If as many tell me, after describing the depth and frontage of the maniple, Polybius also meant the maniples were closer together than normal then your question is answered.

Macedon wrote:
Regarding the triarii, I also believe that they were the 10,000 men tasked with camp guard duty but I have to say that unfortunately they are not positively identified in the sources.

The triarii may not be positively named at Cannae but where they were during the battle can be identified. Again, mathematics combined with the primary sources will show the way. The largest figure given for the Roman army at Cannae is that given by Plutarch at 88,000 men “arrayed for battle.” So Plutarch 88,000 men are those ready to fight. I took my figure for the whole Roman army and by removing the artificers (blacksmiths and carpenters) and by keeping the musicians) you get 88,000 men, but the figure is just a tad rounded. Therefore, I have the triarii standing on the battlefield of Cannae and not in the camp.

Macedon wrote:
As I already said, of course they could fail, but I would have expected some relative action in the accounts, unless there is such and I just do not link it with it as, undoubtedly, I do have strong preconceptions because of my work as I guess you and most others like us do. This is why such discussions can be interesting as they can offer a fresh look into things

At Cannae one has to take into account the punishment melted out on the survivors by being sent to Sicily. This form of punishment did not happen to those who survived the Trebia or Lake Trasimene that is can only signify some act of mass cowardice had occurred. And also cavalrymen are sent in exile to Sicily. We know many of the Roman troops were raw recruits but we don’t know their state of mind. Did the camp rumours talk of the Carthaginian army as being unbeatable and loved by the gods? Was there a defeatist attitude sweeping through the lower ranks? Did this defeatist attitude develop when the Roman commanders refused to challenge Hannibal days before? Were the allied troops wholly committed to the Roman cause? Or did Hannibal’s policy of allowing the allied troops to return home after being captured make it that much easier for the allied legions on the flanks to rout?

Macedon wrote:
It is not just the lack of supporting evidence that troubles me, it is the tactical risk included for Hannibal's Africans as they extend before or behind a fresh, unpinned Roman line, as you describe the action, making it a very dangerous maneuver to have been organized beforehand. It is more a decision I would expect a general to have made as a reaction to exploit an opportunity, rather than a pre-planned one.

I’m a believer of the pre-planned encirclement. As to the dangers of this manoeuvre, I do discuss this very thing, but I have done it in comparison to other outflanking manoeuvres. When I was doing the Great Plains scenario, as the Romans have only the 4000 Celtiberians to encircle, something occurred to me about the formation of the surrounding force. This gave me more insights into how the Africans can extend. I also took the numbers of Caesar’s fourth line and applied the methodology and it worked. So in the book I am presenting something very different about flanking forces and it is to do with their safety.

Macedon wrote:
Yes, this is a key difference between our understandings and the center of my "objections". As I perceive it, the doctrine of the rear lines was to keep their line and NOT follow the hastati in front of them unless ordered to.

You old Byzantine. Had the principes at Cannae did what the principes did at Zama Hannibal’s plan of encirclement at Cannae would have failed.

Macedon wrote:
Keeping in mind that up to that point the hastati were fully victorious in their eyes, I expect the rear line to not have sent many reinforcements to them, so their integrity cannot have suffered much.

My belief is that maniples of principes do not replace individual maniples of hastati. All the maniples of hastati are withdrawn and replaced by all the maniples of principes (which includes the triarii). Therefore, lines replace lines.

Macedon wrote:
If, as you suggest, each unit (of whatever predetermined size) kept a constant distance with the men in front of them, then the shape of the auxiliary line formation would have changed in the same manner the front line did making your suggestion much more probable as parts of the rear would even be as advanced if not more than the wings of the front line.

That is my conclusion. The eight legions in the centre of the Roman line had advanced further in front than the three legions on each flank of the eight legions. I found it interesting that Plutarch talks of the centre retiring and it is those that get surrounded. Now at this point, those eight legions are pushing Hannibal’s main line back (the base of the triangle or as you say the second line), so disengaging will not be easy. Appian has the rout start on the left wing then the right wing and for the eight legions to be surrounded the three legions on either flank of the eight legions that should be protecting the flank of the eight legions have routed leaving the eight legions to fight their way back. With the return of the Carthaginian cavalry, only then is it safe for the African infantry to begin extending. Livy and Polybius report that Servilius commanded the centre and Servilius is mention as being trapped in the pocket.

Macedon wrote:
Yes, I know, I have read many modern descriptions, Daly's included, and most have many obvious problems ranging from a lacking mathematical approach to over-reliance on other people's translations leading to pre- (mis) conceptions.

I read Daly’s book and gave it away. It’s heavily padded and typical of what you get today. When explaining the Servian constitution Daly relies on Ogilvie. When describing the method of line relief, Daly relies on Connelly. There are numerous other examples I could go into but in a nutshell there is nothing original, just a poor use of the primary sources.

Macedon wrote:
The one line scenario is mentioned by a number of scholars as a possibility, although a very few have an approach that is even remotely close to ours.

I must confess I do like reading the one line scenarios. I like to observe the author paint himself into a corner, then have him come up with some irrational concept to get himself out of it. If something does not work for me, rather than bash squares into round holes or flog a dead horse, I go back to the drawing board and start again with a new approach. I do this time and time again until the result I achieve closely conforms to the primary sources.

One ancient author I treat with caution is Polybius. He may have had some Greek military experience but I do not believe he fully understands the Roman system. In fact I am convinced he doesn’t. His comment about Regulus having solved the elephant problem with his deployment but that it overlooked the cavalry problem I believe is Polybius’ personal comment and not taken from a source. When I reconstructed Regulus’ formation of the army being shorter than normal but more maniples deeper, I was very impressed with what I saw. This is a solid square formation that is both offensive and defensive. It can expand out and form into a hollow square with reserves. It fits the same description as given by Crassus at Carrhae.

I find it strange that scholars dealing with Roman politics know Polybius’ description of the Roman constitution is wrong, yet military scholars cannot conceive the idea that Polybius description of the Roman legion could also be at fault.

We live in interesting times.

Steven
Quote:Surely, images would be helpful, if you are really interested in following this discussion I could make some during the next days.
that would be great. been reading and following the discussion because I love to learn about the battle of cannae being one of my favorite battles to read about in the ancient world, plus it gives me something good to learn while I have down time at work.
David C
Macedon wrote:
Mathematics was according to the ancients a key skill for commanders. Contrary to military action today, pitched battles were very mathematical in their nature as far as the shapes of the formations are concerned. Distances, intervals and other mathematical dimensions are very important to understand how and why armies formed for battle.

How very true. The first concern is to get your frontage to match that of the enemy. At Ilipa Hasdrubal, knowing he has double the number of men as Scipio’s consular army, Hasdrubal deploys his forces so they have the same frontage as two consular armies. At Lake Regulus, my reconstruction has the Romans match the frontage of the Latin army, but only after extending the Roman centre. At the Allia in 386 BC, the Romans don’t know what they are facing when it comes to frontage. At Cynoscephalae Philip arranges his 8000 phalangites to conform to the frontage of the Roman left wing. According to Livy Philip “halved the front and gave twice the depth to the files, so that the depth might be greater than the width.” I can get the Macedonian phalanx to half the frontage and double the depth, but Livy’s comment the depth might be greater than the width does not make sense unless he is referring to a single lochoi. The only way to fulfil Livy’s last remark is to deploy the 8000 phalangites 80 men wide by 100 men deep. At Zama, Hannibal’s first line of 12,000 men matches the frontage of Scipio’s army. Opposing armies knew what deployment variations each side could adopt due to them knowing how the other army was organised. Hannibal at Cannae would have known every mathematical deployment option the Romans could use.

Steven
I think before graphics are added, a firm Order of Battle should be established by each party (per the sources). If your going to argue frontage, it would be nice to know how many warriors each side had, of each type.
Ex. the Romans had 14 legions, according to whom? How is two double consular army 14 legions? What about the ala? Etc.
How many people were left in camp, on either side, on the day of the battle?
Bryan wrote:
I think before graphics are added, a firm Order of Battle should be established by each party (per the sources). If your going to argue frontage, it would be nice to know how many warriors each side had, of each type.

I beg to differ. I do not believe Macedon or I have to divulge all our research. For me highlighting the fact eight legions in the centre are committed to the break through and three legions on each flank act as flank guards is sufficient. For Macedon and me to divulge the frontages of the Romans would reveal how we have interpreted Polybius maniple description. If you go back through the posting you will notice I have not asked Macedon to reveal his maniple arrangement, nor has he of me. This is because we are both respectful that such matters are of a private nature.

Bryan wrote:
Ex. the Romans had 14 legions, according to whom?

The answer is according to the sources. Of the 16 legions Polybius has two legions committed to attacking Hannibal’s camp, so that leaves 14 legions to face the bulk of Hannibal’s army.

Bryan wrote:
How is two double consular army 14 legions?

See reply above. And what is a double consular army? At Cannae there are four consular armies.

Bryan wrote:
What about the ala? Etc.

Ok, what about the ala? Are we to second guess what you want answered?

Bryan wrote:
How many people were left in camp, on either side, on the day of the battle?

Well my previous posting has the artificers left inside the camp. A careful reading of the primary sources shows this does occur. They are mentioned guarding the camp at Veii in 480 BC, so the tradition is very old. As for giving the exact numbers I do feel neither I nor Macedon have to expose all our research. Should this be expected of us, then I am happy to continue this discussion with Macedon offline.

Steven
Well... I will agree with Steven that a researcher has to protect his research until he publishes it and so certain details or novelties may be kept a secret until then. However, I will make some general images that will illustrate some of the points discussed here. Of course these images will be broad approximations of the tactics proposed as is common in relevant bibliography, that is some colored lines with some arrows. As for the legions matter, Steven obviously speaks of 8 Roman and 8 allied legions, which often are portrayed as 8 instead of 16 in bibliography. Thus a consular army is not composed of 2 legions but of 2 Roman and 2 allied ones. Frontages are not that important as far as absolute numbers are concerned, relations being much more helpful in such discussions.
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ
Oh my - this thread has taken an interesting turn...

I wanted to respond to Macedon's put down last week and therefore went off to conduct my own 'research' on the battle before wading in properly armed. I shall not break this post up with reference quotes (which are otherwise in the thread for all to see), but will attempt to write clearly.

From the outset, however, I will happily suggest that it is our avowed duty to query the veracity of the sources we have and therefore the "choices of the ancients". The sources we are talking about are writing over 50 years, over 150 years and over 300 years after the event! They, themselves (with the possible, but unlikely, exception of Polybius) are relying on written evidence, probably itself sparse in detail and no firsthand accounts; and, finally, all are writing about a battle the Romans lost (comprehensively) and thus the original verbal sources are also naturally suspect.

In addition (and with specific reference to the OPs query) I would point out that what I write below is entirely consistent with Robert's original premise; but that it has been lost in the mire of the thread that has followed. So, Robert, good question now obscured in the fog.

I'll also note that my original suggestion of the possibility of infantry being used to support the cavalry as a way of securing a flank, otherwise dismissed, is exactly what happened in the Romans' approach march to Cannae when they held off the Carthaginian cavalry and light troops!

Firstly, and as an opener, there is plenty of easily available evidence (even given the likely changes over the intervening centuries) that does not dismiss the Aufidius/Ofanto as a "small....and short" river. Was it fordable at the time, yes certainly, but perhaps only in certain places and this dictated the sighting of the camps. It is the only river in Italy that rises on one side of the Apennines and crosses to the other before decamping into the Adriatic and there was a lot more rainfall 2,300+ years ago than there is now. The plain North and West of Cannae (and the hills it sat upon), that was recognised as so suitable for cavalry, is a flood plain! Moreover the efficacy of the river as a perfectly possible flank guard itself is self-evident in the battle descriptions we have, given that the Roman cavalry were hemmed in between the river and the infantry and certainly none of them were able to easily cross it and manoeuvre when that would have been desirable.

So, just so there are no secrets to my research (I still intend to publish free here soon for the organisational background.....), I contend that there are two major considerations that we should review (as indeed is true for any battle analysis), what troops and what terrain:

- I have no contention with the detail in the sources as to numbers per se; the Romans raised 8 legions (+ matching Socii) of the enhanced variety (5,000 men) for the first time ever combined in a single force (twice as large as a double Consular Army (2+2 doubled) would have been, for 80,000 infantry; but cavalry numbers are low for the normal complement for such a force (2,400 Roman + 7,200 Socii) given that there are figures between 6,000 (Polybius) and 7,200 (total Livy) quoted and this is entirely consistent with the cavalry losses sustained over the last few years and what actually happened at the battle. It is my theory/belief that a Roman legion normally deploys on a 500ft frontage and so does a cavalry unit (300) - the detail belongs elsewhere. The Cathaginians had 10,000 cavalry and 40,000 infantry. What does seem reasonable to assume, however, is that the Roman forces contained a serious proportion of new troops with little army training and even less battle experience, whilst the complete opposite was true of Hannibal's forces. What does appear unusual in the Roman deployment, however, is that it seems the actual Roman elements deployed on the right and the Socii on the left, as opposed to the far more normal system of Roman legions in the centre and Socii on the wings and this may have had an effect.

- Whilst it is not possible to accurately determine the course of the river at the actual time, it has been reasonably postulated and the battle details support that the width across the plain between the hills upon which Cannae resided and the river varies from being fairly narrow at the Northern end (near the smaller Roman camp), to widening at the Southern. For the purposes of discussion I am going to use a minimum width of 4,500/5,000ft (one Roman mile) for the former and double that for the latter. This widening as one would proceed Southwards is, I believe, very important to trying to understand the battle plan.

So, my understanding of what seems to have happened...

Having done it the previous day and to make best use of the terrain; Hannibal was and did deploy across his ford and take up position South of the river. Whether Varro (in charge that day supposedly) was inexperienced or forced the issue is immaterial really, the Romans chose to give battle that day and I believe the idea was not unreasonable, they had been sent to stop the Carthaginians after all. Hannibal had a lot of experience that the Romans would deploy fairly normally, and I believe they did, and constructed his battle plan as we all know (summarised as a collapsing centre, with reinforced (best troops) supporting wings and cavalry superiority). What is perhaps less obvious from the sources, but highly likely, is a further appreciation of the 'expanding funnel/venturi' of the terrain between the hills and river that both sides intended to use!

As it is an aside to the battle anyway, I will note that I believe 2 whole legions (10,000 men, possibly all Roman) were left in the main Roman camp North of the river. Whilst triarii could have been used for this (which is consistent with the overall numbers from 16 (equivalent) legions) and have been used to guard camps at some battles, in this case the intent was to attack the Carthaginian camp itself and thus it is far more likely that whole legions would be used.

This does mean that the Roman forces would be left with 14 legions (I'll use the total from now on) and cavalry to deploy and advance across a restricted frontage. What I suggest, however, seems entirely consistent with what happened. It seems to me that the Roman intention was to advance down the space between the hills and river, using their numerical superiority and a right-flank dominant advance to swing Southwards and force the Carthaginians away from their camp whilst it was being attacked.

In order to achieve this, the Romans deployed with their 14 legions in 'column of centuries' with posterior behind prior, so that the legions occupied half their normal frontage and the maniples were much closer together, with the specific intention of widening and deploying 'normally' as the available frontage expanded as they expected it to. Cavalry would be needed on the wings to enable this sort of expanding manoeuvre as normal. With a single width cavalry unit on each wing that would have required 4,500ft and that is quite reasonable. I do not see anything "innovative" in this entirely sensible plan.
Hannibal, however, whilst doing nothing more than actually counter this intention, then took it to a whole other level! For it appears that he deployed forward in the first place and thus engaged the Romans whilst they were still bottled up in the dense columns they originally deployed in. He then 'allowed' the Roman centre (the infantry) to advance, but prevented them from deploying......the rest, as they say, is history.

On the Roman's right wing the cavalry could not manoeuvre (sources confirm) and the 'cavalry battle' was then carried out on foot. Something like 4,000 of Carthage's finest beat up ~2,400 Romans before re-mounting. Whilst they then followed up the rout and proceeded to the Romans rear, 4,000 crack Libyans (spears/pikes - perfect for this job) moved up to contain one flank.

On the Roman's left there does seem to be more room to move, probably because of the oft-mentioned natural tendency for ancient battles to drift right and that was also the Romans' intention given the terrain, but definitely because the superb Numidian cavalry could function as normal and the allied cavalry suffered, before then being destroyed when the Carthaginian cavalry arrived from the other wing having moved across the Romans rear. Once more 4,000 Libyans from that wing moved forward to contain the second flank.

With Carthaginian infantry now deployed all across the Roman frontage and both sides and with cavalry operating with impunity across the rear the Romans were surrounded. None of the men in the centre could fight, they couldn't deploy and the men on the edges were destroyed. Given that the 'survivors from Cannae' continued as a force for many years afterwards I am not sure the casualty figures are entirely accurate, but the Romans lost, convincingly, comprehensively and utterly.

The Battle of Cannae is not difficult. I do not believe the above is that inaccurate, it is relatively simple and therefore likely and entirely consistent with the evidence.

For the OP, in short, the cavalry, although outnumbered, were necessary in their normal roles to cover the flanks and allow such a planned manoeuvre. However, hindsight is a wonderful thing and things could have gone differently perhaps. With their considerable extra numbers (let alone the knowledge that the Carthaginian cavalry was superior in every way) it would seem eminently sensible to have reinforced/supported the cavalry with infantry, but it seems the Romans kept their legions together, which is why I believe they deployed as they did. They had done this before and had the numbers to do so. Had triarii and supporting velites been allocated to the cavalry it could have gone very differently. I know that most Generals now would have considered a similar force, or perhaps just light troops, to occupy the high ground as well.

Cannae is indeed a textbook example of using inferior numbers of crack troops to destroy larger numbers of enemy by using superior tactics and most definitely the terrain against them.

M2CW
Mark wrote:
What does appear unusual in the Roman deployment, however, is that it seems the actual Roman elements deployed on the right and the Socii on the left, as opposed to the far more normal system of Roman legions in the centre and Socii on the wings and this may have had an effect.

Is this the Penguin translation you are using? Because if it is, I have been informed the Penguin translation badly mishandled this section and gives the impression the right consisted of the Roman legions and the left, the allied legions. This is what I was given by a translator. Livy's Latin says:

in dextro cornu (on the right wing)
id erat flumini propius (that was next to the river)
Romanos equites locant, deinde pedites (they placed the Roman cavalry, then foot soldiers)
laevum cornu extremi (on the left wing, on the end)
equites sociorum, intra* pedites (the allied cavalry, then* foot soldiers) *literally 'inside', meaning between the cavalry and the centre
ad medium iuncti legionibus Romanis ([these] joined onto the Roman legions in the centre)

So we have the Romans in the centre. Just thought I’d pass on some of the “secret” information to you Mark.

Steven
Quote:...........................
So we have the Romans in the centre. Just thought I’d pass on some of the “secret” information to you Mark.....

Steven,

Many thanks, although I hardly consider that 'secret', but it does show the value of a re-look at the original and it is at times like these I wish I had a flair for languages and had indeed chosen Latin at school and perhaps even found Ancient Greek if my life had taken a different course. All I can do is rely on others for the translating and see what can be teased out and impart good analysis, which is something I do better, if I do say so myself, leavened with a hard dose of military reality and military history.

In fact I took my view on this relatively minor point from the Livy translation by Butterfield, but actually my Polybius translation is the newest (I believe) one by Robin Waterfield (Oxford) and doesn't show any detail like you show, merely saying that it was the Roman cavalry on the right, as you say. Thanks.

Helping clear up this minor point, however, is excellent to our general understanding.
Steven, when is the book being published? The anticipation is killing me.
Quote:Steven, when is the book being published? The anticipation is killing me.
yeah and can I get a cheap copy if its expensive? Tongue I can only afford books in the $20-$35CDN price range lol
David C
Mark wrote:
I wanted to respond to Macedon's put down last week and therefore went off to conduct my own 'research' on the battle before wading in properly armed.

Enter Mark with the bone of an ass to smite all before him. :>)

Mark wrote:
From the outset, however, I will happily suggest that it is our avowed duty to query the veracity of the sources we have and therefore the "choices of the ancients".

Do you mean the favourites list among academics.

Mark wrote:
They, themselves (with the possible, but unlikely, exception of Polybius) are relying on written evidence,

Reading between the lines, “oh how can Steven think that Polybius could be unreliable?”

Mark wrote:
In addition (and with specific reference to the OPs query) I would point out that what I write below is entirely consistent with Robert's original premise; but that it has been lost in the mire of the thread that has followed. So, Robert, good question now obscured in the fog.

That really is uncalled for Mark. I have given a digression of the how the Roman cavalry was deployed and the reason why. Then I have been involved in answering questions that are still related to the battle of Cannae. Your post is doing nothing different from what Macedon and I have been doing.

Mark wrote:
but cavalry numbers are low for the normal complement for such a force (2,400 Roman + 7,200 Socii) given that there are figures between 6,000 (Polybius) and 7,200 (total Livy) quoted and this is entirely consistent with the cavalry losses sustained over the last few years.

Well if it isn’t a secret, what are your numbers for the Roman and allied cavalry? How do your cavalry numbers could show us they reflect the loss of cavalry sustained since the Trebia?

Mark wrote:
As it is an aside to the battle anyway, I will note that I believe 2 whole legions (10,000 men, possibly all Roman) were left in the main Roman camp North of the river.

Why not one Roman and one allied? Are you guessing the two legions are both Roman, or is this based on some scientific study?

Mark wrote:
In order to achieve this, the Romans deployed with their 14 legions in 'column of centuries' with posterior behind prior,

What happens if there are no posterior or prior centuries, or a century was not organised into a prior or posterior section?

Mark wrote:
Something like 4,000 of Carthage's finest beat up ~2,400 Romans before re-mounting.

Are you sure there is 2400 Roman cavalry on the right wing? Could there be evidence to contradict this?

Mark wrote:
The Battle of Cannae is not difficult. I do not believe the above is that inaccurate, it is relatively simple and therefore likely and entirely consistent with the evidence.

First the evidence does not tell us a legion had a frontage of 500 feet. Allowing three feet per soldier, your legion has a frontage of 166 point 66666 men. Fractions are not a feature of Roman military organisation because men cannot be turned into fractions. The primary sources always show the numbers end in double zeros (4200 men, 300 cavalry, 5400 man legion, 6200 man legion, 5200 man legion etc). You are working against the primary sources, but I will add you are not alone. Second Polybius’ comment the depth of the maniple was greater than its frontage does not tell us the legion halved its frontage. You are telling us this. Do you in your thesis; do a comprehensive study of Plutarch’s figure of 88,000 men arrayed for battle, and why he has come to that figure? Or would you say Plutarch has taken Livy’s figure of 87,200 men and rounded this to 88,000 men? Have you included in your thesis Appian’s account of the reserve cavalry? Or does your thesis only include data that supports your theory?

Mark wrote:
but it seems the Romans kept their legions together, which is why I believe they deployed as they did. They had done this before and had the numbers to do so.

What do you mean when you state the Romans had done this before? Are you saying they had deployed 16 legions in a battle before Cannae?

Mark wrote:
Many thanks, although I hardly consider that 'secret',

I was playing with you Mark. It was in response to your comment that your work is not secret, as opposed to myself belonging to the secret De Vinci Pythagorean code (the truth is out there school of research).

Bryan wrote:
Steven, when is the book being published? The anticipation is killing me.

First what are you anticipating? Second, my intention in writing this book is not to kill someone with it. This year I had health problems that caused me to drop back to first gear. At present I am doing some fine tuning. The heavy research and the periods of new discoveries thankfully appear to be over. My intention is to publish enough copies to be freely distributed to major university libraries around the world. It is not a money making venture but a money loss venture and a good tax write off.

Steven