Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\'In Rome\' / \'At Rome\'
Can anyone explain to me why so many academic books use the strange formula 'at Rome' when talking about things, people, or events in Rome?

The most obvious example is the British School at Rome. There's an American Academy in Rome, so is this just a slightly archaic Britishism?

It turns up all over the place though:

"Social Life At Rome In The Age Of Cicero"

"Work, Identity, and Legal Status at Rome"

"the list of public buildings constructed at Rome between 200 and 78 B.C..."

"it is difficult to define architecture at Rome as distinct from other Italic forms..."

"At Rome public monuments were a primary means of displaying the emperor's accomplishments..."

etc... :unsure:
Nathan Ross
Must be one of those weird Britishisms.... :evil:

Like putting 'an' before words starting with 'H', even though it's
a,e,i,o and u.. :whistle:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Actually, I think ‘at’ is entirely appropriate. Not only does it express spatial or local position, as the OED points out, but it is often used with proper names of towns, ‘usually those of public or private importance.’ You might have one meeting ‘at Washington’ and another ‘in Springfield.’ I would say Rome has both public and private importance. Wink

And ‘an’ is used for the sound, not the spelling. The ‘h’ is silent in ‘hour,’ Byron!
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
You would be surprised where it gets used.....

An history lesson, an Historical moment....not silent at all...

I am at the train station in Washington DC...is correct.

I am in the Capitol at Washington DC is not....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yes, it depends whether the object/subject is oblique or direct in most cases, we no longer have a proper locative system.
Jass
Ah yes; the demise of the locative!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
At is perfectly appropriate. We learn very complex forms of english inadvertantly in Latin class.
Hmm...used to be called grammar in my day!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:You might have one meeting ‘at Washington’ and another ‘in Springfield.’ I would say Rome has both public and private importance.

Hmm, really? I've never heard anyone saying they were 'at New York' or 'at London'... In fact a quick scan through Google Books reveals that the construction 'at London' expired c.1810...

In current usage (I would say) 'at' is used for a general point of location ('at work' / 'at home / 'at the pub'), while 'in' is used for a physical position within larger spatial limits ('in Devon' / 'in Tokyo' / 'in bed')

You could say 'at' expresses temporal as well as physical position, but the sentence 'there was a great fire at 17th century London' doesn't really ring true either, to me at least!

So 'at Rome or 'at Athens' does seem a rather archaic donnish affectation... Or is it more widely acceptable?
Nathan Ross
Quote:So 'at Rome or 'at Athens' does seem a rather archaic donnish affectation... Or is it more widely acceptable?
This leads into the only common usage of 'At [place]' I can immediately think of, as in 'he's a lecturer at Oxford' or 'she's studying Biochemistry at Cambridge'. Of course there the place name is a shortened form of '[place] university' so that doesn't help much.

For claims of it being a Britishism it certainly looks odd to me - but then I don't write or speak grammar the good.
Quote:the only common usage of 'At [place]' I can immediately think of, as in 'he's a lecturer at Oxford' or 'she's studying Biochemistry at Cambridge'.

Yes, I'd say you would be at an institution, in a place. Saying that you were studying at The American Academy in Rome (or even 'of Rome'!) would seem to make more sense than saying you were studying at The British School at Rome...

By 'Britishism' I'm referring only to usage within British academia specifically - it seems to have no wider application. Why this should be I don't know...

:errr:
Nathan Ross
I suppose the most important thing is to feel AT home IN Rome Confusedilly:
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
It could be the product of whatever Latin/grammar instruction they received. For Latin texts, translators usually render the locative Romae as "at Rome," because "in Rome" would specifically be in Roma (in + ablative).

Consider this line from Cicero: utinam is quidem Romae esset! Romae est. utinam adesset in iudicio! adest. (If only he would actually be at Rome! He is at Rome. If only he would be present in court! He is present.)

I couldn't actually find any examples that used in Roma, so maybe that's why you see "at Rome" more often than "in Rome." Smile
God bless.
Jeff Chu
It is now about eight years since I was in Rome and I think it is time that I was going back to Rome.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rome Sweet Rome movie D B Campbell 9 2,382 03-24-2012, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Vindex