Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HS/HD Images of Republican Era Gladius hilts.
Can anyone help me out with any?
I have come across a few but no photos.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron, can you please be more spesific, from the punic wars, caesarian etc.?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Any and all. I have 2 blades to hilt, and I may not do them both identically.
Ceasarian is probably the easiest, as i have seen quite few repeated images of interpretations, but at the moment, I do not have my Miks, and I am needing good info asap as I have a short window to do the work before fitting when I return home.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
There is little to go on in Miks, actually. I am more or less struggling with the same problem hilting a VERY pointy Hispanensis I did a while back. So I would also be very interested in any pictures here.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
I think many go with the sculptural evidence, such as the Ahenobarbus relief.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
You mean a threelobed pommel and domed, pettaled guard with a brass/bronze baseplate? Wonder is a bone grip with those would be appropriate. There is one find with just a bone grip.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
I have a variety of indian sourced hilts and a nice dutch made bone grip.
I have a great piece of wood Tony gave me some time back which, after tripping over it in the intervening years, has suddenly decide to play hide and seek with me.
i would like to make my own but if time runs out, may have to go with the indian wood!
However, that leaves one more bone grip to make.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:You mean a threelobed pommel and domed, pettaled guard with a brass/bronze baseplate? Wonder is a bone grip with those would be appropriate.
Not at all. This one in the Ahenobarbus relief looks like a xiphos type to my eyes, with a spiralled grip, but I could be wrong.

This one is based on a find (69 BC), so we know that the pommel was spherical because of the metal decoration that remained.

Many of the hispaniensis blades are waisted to the tang, so I'd personally say it's possible that the hilt could resemble Celtic swords. Here's an Iberian sword with a metal hilt.

I'm not so sure about a ridged bone grip. Even most Mainz types have the smoother grip which expands towards the middle like a spindle, as seen in Tafel 151 in Miks (see the 69 BC example above). A229 is 2nd-half of 1st-C BC, and has rectangular looking remains of a hilt, but could be the metal scabbard parts at the vagina (can't read German yet).

Erik Schmidt's choices of hilts would probably be a good place to start.

Quote:There is one find with just a bone grip.
Is that A779, with the grip drawn off to the side of the tang?

P.S. It's in Spanish, but has a useful figure showing swords side by side.

¿QUÉ HAY EN UN NOMBRE? LA CUESTIÓN DEL GLADIUS HISPANIENSIS (PDF - slow to download though)
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks Jim and Robert.

Yes I've seen the spiral grip, and while I was toying with doing one that way, my time is running out,
I am taking a course, and supposed to complete 2 blades , but I can see me failing!

I prefer the ribbed grips for the feel, and will use that for a caesarian sword, as it is close enough to the Mainz period to have some crossover.
But for Punic era....as Jim says, the Iberian style pommel might be better.

Jim, the Erik Schmidt link takes me toe Erick Konigs site..?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks Jim and Robert.

Yes I've seen the spiral grip, and while I was toying with doing one that way, my time is running out,
I am taking a course, and supposed to complete 2 blades , but I can see me failing!

I prefer the ribbed grips for the feel, and will use that for a caesarian sword, as it is close enough to the Mainz period to have some crossover.
I would have liked to try the Delos style pommel but, as I have run out of time, I will probably go for some of the ones I have laying around.
But for Punic era....as Jim says, the Iberian style pommel might be better.

Jim, the Erik Schmidt link takes me to Erick Konigs site..?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Jim, the Erik Schmidt link takes me to Erick Konigs site..?
That's because it's Erick Konig's site and my age is beginning to show :whistle:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
8-)
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gladius Hilts Ivory? Doc 21 4,249 03-05-2007, 07:40 AM
Last Post: LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS
  New Republican gladius based on Kalkriese John M McDermott 23 5,368 09-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Crispvs
  republican gladius- worthy of a look John M McDermott 13 3,218 04-04-2006, 01:36 AM
Last Post: Chuck Russell