Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A presumed bronze spur - advice needed
Hello to everybody,
perhaps this topic is in the wrong section...in that case, please kindly move it to the right place. In a set of metallic objects dated generically to the ‘Roman age’ from the north-west of Italy, collected during the 18th century, I have noticed this bronze object described as a ‘handle’.
I must state beforehand that I am not an expert in this kind of material… but it reminded me of a spur, close to the curved type (the oldest one?) with hooks ends.

Since you are certainly more competent than me, I would like to ask for a suggestion on this object… what do you think?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Best!
S.M.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
It's not a spur. Could it be part of the horse's harness?
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
You need Jurvengis or moi for this
They know horse stuff
Kevin
Kevin
Thanks for your answers... I am very ignorant on the horses stuff

kevin mills wrote:

You need Jurvengis or moi for this. They know horse stuff

Indeed, I hope to have their opinion ... perhaps it really is a handle Wink
--------
SM.

I've been thinking about the picture last night. My first though was it not being a spur and I think that would still be my guess.

But what else might it be. I find most cavalry uses unlikely. I can't see it being part on the horses tack nor being used on the bridle (although there is a wide variety of bridles, which use I don't all know)

I think I therefore would go for the option 'chest handle' as was said before. But for the same time it could indeed be horsey stuff or something completely different.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Looks a bit like a miniature yoke :-)
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
I have been looking at this piece and thought that with regard to the two curved areas that are recessed back then reverse the whole thing fit it to the chest of a chainmail shirt, and you could have a solid device for holding shoulder doublings it does depend of course if there is a pin that would go through the chainmail. I do have a bronze spur in my collection but it is a much more delicate thing than the piece that you show here.
Brian Stobbs
Interesting one!

I agree with everyone else that it isn't a spur, but that doesn't really help you! I also don't think that it is related to anything to do with ridden or driven animals, although it could, at a push be a rein support for a driven animal; and by that I mean something similar to what you can see in the attached image - where the long reins are supported off the horse's back, attached to the surcingle (or strap around the horse's belly!)

[attachment=6339]images_2013-02-02.jpg[/attachment]

If you turn it up the other way, it could have been fitted into something else but
the two curved ends are clearly worn or broken, perhaps suggesting it is a handle of some sort.

Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Thanks everybody for all your useful advices!
For sure now we can exclude that it is a spur… ;-)
Initially, the thing that made me doubt about its use as an handle is the little ‘point’ in the center of the arc (not too much comfortable for the grip). As for all the out-of-contest objects it is always complicated ... but perhaps in this case the simplest explanation is the more probable one.
--------
SM.

Here are a couple of pictures of the bronze spur that I have which of course is more delicate and would have had an iron pin that is now missing, there would also have been rings at the ends of the U shape to take thongs for fixing. The hook shape I think is where the fixing straps may have been supported where they may have crossed over at the rear.
[attachment=6340]easyshare2145Medium.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=6341]easyshare2146Medium.jpg[/attachment]

Brian Stobbs
MY NAME IS WILLIAM GANNON NOT MY FIRST POST BUT CLOSE SO HI i agee it is not a spur or horse parrifnailia if it was found around ariver or swamp area it could possible be a oar lockas we have simaler oar locks to day thank you
Good call William! Thank you - didn't think of that one.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Hello William! Thank for your suggestion. I didn’t think at this possibility neither…
I have looked at two articles with a series of spurs :
- H. Baitinger (2004), Hellenistisch-frühkaiserzeitliche Reitersporen aus dem Zeusheiligtum von Olympia.
- F. Quesada Sanz (2005), El gobierno del caballo montado en la antigüedad clásica con especial referencia al caso de Iberia. bocados, espuelas y la cuestión de la silla de montar, estribos y herraduras.

And all of the exemplars are quite different and, as it said before, more delicate and thin. Besides, for the object in question the two curved ends are completely flat, thing that I have not seen in the other spurs.
Thank PhilusEstilius for posting and sharing this piece of your collection, do you know the provenance?

[attachment=6344]Untitled-1_2013-02-03.jpg[/attachment]

--------
SM.

Stefano.

The spur I have came from the Hadrian's Wall area however looking again at where you show the flat parts of that object, the earlier suggestion I gave fits well with those flat parts for two flat head studs on shoulder doublings would slide over very well.
Brian Stobbs
A style of roman razor in some museums have a very similar bronze handle fitting onto a small iron blade - I don't think the bronze handle was riveted on, maybe soldered on and the 'flats' on yout item would suit soldering your item to a flat metal surface. The size seems applicable - see 'Roman Razors' images on the internet ; one image on there resembles your mystery object.
"You can take a barbarian out of the forest, but you can\'t take the forest out of a barbarian..."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Carsoli bronze statuette--help needed Michael J. Taylor 3 3,080 01-05-2016, 04:19 PM
Last Post: Michael J. Taylor
  uses of spur marcii ulpi messala 3 1,130 01-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Last Post: marcii ulpi messala