Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legionary Fortresses website
Quote:What information do you have on the following roman marching camps located in northeastern scotland:
1. roman camp near Dorn
2. normandykes
3. Raedykes

Im planning on visiting them this summer.
I've been to Raedykes (pix here) and Normandykes (haven't scanned my pix yet) and both are reasonably accessible. If you mean the camp at Dornock, I'm afraid I haven't been there.

Details of all are of course available in Rebecca Jones' Roman Camps in Scotland (which is currently priced at £5,000 on Amazon!).

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
The link to the pictures of Raedykes (which the dumb board software won't let me add) is http://www.flickr.com/photos/thearmatura...84/detail/

Mike Bishop

Quote:Details of all are of course available in Rebecca Jones' Roman Camps in Scotland (which is currently priced at £5,000 on Amazon!).

Mike Bishop

Wow, glad I bought a copy a while back.....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Mike.

I also see the £5,000.00 Amazon price so I may well not buy one but there is a point I would raise about the front cover of the book, and that is when will people get it right about how these Roman stakes were used for they would have been no protection at all as shown.
Brian Stobbs
But if you get lots of balls of different coloured yarn, you can wind it between them and make some pretty decoration for the camp boundaries! Really dazzle the enemy into submission! :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I'm sure it's a great book, but probably won't sell for 5K pounds.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Thanks for the info and the pics Mike. They really are a big help!
I screwed up the name. The fort that i meant was the fort at Durno. Thanks for the pics Mike.
All of the fortresses are now present on legionaryfortresses.info and I have added an introductory essay. I've also added the contentious Rottweil I (contentious in the same way as Alchester in the is-it-isn't-it way of things) because I think it has a slightly better claim than Alchester.

Future developments will include adding more links to PDFs of references plus, if I ever have time, tags and subject bibliographies too.

Mike Bishop

Quote:Mike.

I also see the £5,000.00 Amazon price so I may well not buy one but there is a point I would raise about the front cover of the book, and that is when will people get it right about how these Roman stakes were used for they would have been no protection at all as shown.

Sorry to go completely OT but what is the best guess on how they were used? I can see why having them pointing straight up in the air like that would be pointless but I have also seen them sticking out from the parapet at 45 degrees or more which seems to serve more of a purpose and I have also seen them tied together in threes forming the same shape as a tank trap.
Adam

No man resisted or offered to stand up in his defence, save one only, a centurion, Sempronius Densus, the single man among so many thousands that the sun beheld that day act worthily of the Roman empire.
Quote:Sorry to go completely OT but what is the best guess on how they were used? I can see why having them pointing straight up in the air like that would be pointless but I have also seen them sticking out from the parapet at 45 degrees or more which seems to serve more of a purpose and I have also seen them tied together in threes forming the same shape as a tank trap.
Is there an award for the most-hijacked thread, Jasper? ;-)

I always assumed the whole point (forgive the pun) of double-ended stakes was that they were multi-functional. So you could lash them together into a giant caltrop, OR to a bar to make a cheval de frise OR jam them into a rampart or ditch to make an additional obstacle in a permanent fortification OR toast your marshmallows on them.

We don't know their precise use but I sincerely doubt they had only one function and you'd be put on a charge if you improvised! The one thing we do know about them (thanks to Oberaden) is that they were centurial, not personal, property.

Mike Bishop

Quote:All of the fortresses are now present on legionaryfortresses.info and I have added an introductory essay. I've also added the contentious Rottweil I (contentious in the same way as Alchester in the is-it-isn't-it way of things) because I think it has a slightly better claim than Alchester.

Future developments will include adding more links to PDFs of references plus, if I ever have time, tags and subject bibliographies too.

Mike Bishop

The plans link will keep me quiet for hours Wink Thank you.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:Details of all are of course available in Rebecca Jones' Roman Camps in Scotland (which is currently priced at £5,000 on Amazon!).
I see that it has now come down to £23.88. Quite a drop!
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)