Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do you reenactment / Living History
only three more... :-)
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Well, jeez, quite the query.
It all started with a keen interest in history in general and gradually epitomized into doing Roman reconstructions. If I recall correctly it was the 'let's do a helmet and see where it leads us-thought' that got me hooked. I'm in my 26th official year of doing Roman Imperial reconstructions now and there are a couple of points I found leading me.
Much akin to Jurjen, whom I consider as a relative,you learn as you go along. The more you feel you get it right the more you find you hardly know anything at all. The better you get the stuff, the more you realise you haven't seen or experienced more than a mere glimpse of life in Roman times. And frankly, it makes you eager to learn more.
Sharing is a key part of the hobby; sharing with kindred souls, the people in our society, the numerous friends all across the world and not in the least, Joe Public.
Gradually we find that our public displays that we once saw as the prime goal of our work have dropped their guise. We now know they are a means to an end; we share our knowledge with our friends, the public and provide them with 'a good show'. Proper procedure, nothing wrong with that. But really, it has all come to revolve around meeting our friends, catching up and making new plans, exploring new fields of our most interesting hobby. And it provides so much energy!
We think about the finds, the circumstances, we interprete, the approach to reconstructing objects, all to the end of making the Roman past as we see it come to life. To learn from it, to laugh at ourselves for trying so hard and hopefully... get that one glimpse of life -in the military- so long ago.
We'll keep at it, for all the above reasons and many more. We need history as much as it needs us.It provides us with momentum. After all, we are the vanguard of preservation, we attempt to keep ancient wheels in motion. For if not us, who then?
Paul Karremans
Chairman and founding member
Member in the Order of Orange-Nassau, awarded for services to Roman Living History in the Netherlands

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.gemina.nl">http://www.gemina.nl
est.1987
The motivations for re-enactors, living historians, &etc doing what what they do (by reading this thread) are varied. Mostly because it's fun, interesting, like to get dressed up in costumes, educating the public. A question I've not read answered is "why"...

If you're doing it for fun, you don't need a reason why
If you're doing it because it's interesting, you don't need a reason why
If you're doing it because you like to play dress-up, that's it's own reason
But educating the public is a biggie...

Why is it so important the public knows about the ancient Roman army? Why does the public need to know the difference between a spear and a javelin, or that the Praetorians depicted in Gladiator are mistaken? How will such information benefit a child or inquiring adult and, furthermore, the world? What is the underlying message you're trying to get across? What do you want the public to take away from your event? Is it something along the lines of " history repeating?" The depravity of empire? There was life before iPhones?

I think there are two kinds of people involved with this-

1. People who are in it for themeselves
2. People who are in it for others

If you're in group 1, it's hedonism. We can all agree that the "coolness factor" of Roman soldiers is quite high. You could be dressing up like a Roman soldier or you could be tailgating. One is as good as the other. Rome is merely the flavor of the month...

If you're in group 2, you work for, and are accountable to the public. It's a cause larger than youself. You maintain a measure of professional detachment that is impossible for the hedonist. You're essentially out to change perspectives. And by changing perspecives you can change lives. And by changing lives, you can change the world...what do you, as a living historian, bring to the table?

By why the Roman army, in particular? Why not aboriginal Australia?
Regards, David
(07-23-2016, 06:37 PM)JoeSmoe69 Wrote: Why is it so important the public knows about the ancient Roman army? Why does the public need to know the difference between a spear and a javelin, or that the Praetorians depicted in Gladiator are mistaken? How will such information benefit a child or inquiring adult and, furthermore, the world?
1. People who are in it for themeselves
2. People who are in it for others

Well, I think you expect a bit too much from regular public Tongue
Before people will see differnece between what you wrote, it would be awesome if they knew that Romans are not just "Asterix & Obelix" Romans with gladius, segmentata and gallic. That's classic roman-army view. No matter if you talk about Ceaser's times or Constantine, people alwasy imagine this type of Roman.

I would put myself between 1 and 2.

I do it for myself, becasue I was fascinated about ancient history since... forever. But I do this at highest possible level to show people the most accurate history I can, to talk with them, explain etc. I find it very entertaining for me to teach people.

I was also wiriting work at the end of unversity from roman law so...
Damian

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Living History and advanced students, eg, IBO richsc 0 1,077 07-16-2017, 05:19 AM
Last Post: richsc
  EXARC and living history groups richsc 0 1,039 12-02-2016, 12:34 PM
Last Post: richsc
  International living history standards richsc 22 7,510 11-01-2016, 05:45 AM
Last Post: Luca