Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sword of Tiberius
My 'arms and armour' knowledge is sadly not what it could be, so please forgive me if this is a silly question!<br>
The link below (if it works) should display a picture from the Roman-Britain.org site of what I presume to be a reconstruction of the Mainz 'Sword of Tiberius':<br>
<br>
www.roman-britain.org/pla...ladius.gif<br>
<br>
This version - the scabbard aside - seems quite different to other reconstructions of the sword that I've seen elsewhere (i.e the 'teardrop' pommel and 'oblong' hilt), or from other 'Mainz' gladius models. Can anyone tell me where this unusual hilt/pommel design originates, and whether it is believed to be contemporaneous with the scabbard (early first century)? <p></p><i></i>
Nathan Ross
Nathan,<br>
the elongated tear drop pommel is a very early reconstruction made for the Romisch Germanisch Zentral Museum RGZM. A more accurate reconstruction would probably be the Rheingonheim sword.<br>
<br>
I was able to take a rubber mold off the old RGZM scabbard, and is now my personal one for 1st century AD displays.<br>
<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>
A shame about that teardrop pommel, if it is as inauthentic as you suggest - it's a strikingly elegant design. The other 'Mainz' gladii I've seen all seem to have the rather flattened ovoid pommel, like the Rheingonheim sword. An exception is this, another version of the 'Tiberius':<br>
<br>
museums.ncl.ac.uk/archive...ainz1a.htm<br>
<br>
...which has very odd hilt decoration, and a spherical pommel. Is this based on the original in some way? <p></p><i></i>
Nathan Ross
We have made it numerous times, one is on display at Sword & Stone at Burbank, CA.<br>
818-5626548<br>
Available with regular or damascene blade <p></p><i></i>
<br>
dear friends,<br>
<br>
I agree with Dan, the handle of the so called Tiberiusswords most probably looked like the Rheingonheim handle.I have been fortunate to study the original very closely in the BM in London.<br>
In the past I have made several repousse sets of the Tiberiusscabbard. One is to be seen on the webside of Leg XIIII (RMRC). The plates look very much like the ones Dan uses, but are like the original made of bronze foil (0.06 mm thick). To make them I have cut a positive in gypsum and wax and had a bronze mold cast. That took me about 200 hours. Now I can make a set in about 20 hours. I will put the picture of the plates on the web shortly.<br>
<br>
Greetings<br>
<br>
Arpvar<br>
<br>
Greetings<br>
<br>
Maarten <p></p><i></i>
Hello Nathan,
The sword in the picture you have posted looks to me to be a copy made by Brian Stobbs. It is likely that he only made the scabbard, the sword being supplied by the person who commisioned the scabbard.
Brians workmanship is excellent.

B. Angel
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sword of Tiberius a tribute to Brian Stobbs Charlie 9 3,014 07-13-2015, 03:09 AM
Last Post: Charlie
  tiberius sword plates munazio planco 9 2,659 08-28-2010, 01:22 AM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS
  reconstructing tiberius sword munazio planco 47 7,716 04-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius