Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sword of Tiberius a tribute to Brian Stobbs
Many of you would have seen these images on RAT's Facebook page.

I wanted to share our latest project with the RAT community as a tribute to Brian Stobbs, who many of you know passed away last Tuesday. Brian had been helping us through this project like he always did, but unfortunately he never got to see it finished. I know he would have liked to seen it here on RAT. If it hadn't been for Brian's help, teaching and encouragement over the years, my mate Jimmy and I would never have attempted anything like this. Thank you my dear friend and RIP.

Well finally after well over twelve months of research, my mate Jimmy and I have finished our reconstruction of the sword of Tiberius.

We have done our best to make this piece as accurate as possible to the original, with what evidence remains. The only thing we did add was brass inlays to the blade, which I think really are known on mid-late 2nd and predominately 3rd century sparthae. These inlays are based on the sword blade from Arbeia Roman Fort Museum.
There is no evidence of gilding on the scabbard lockets as many have thought, in fact the only gilding found is on the medallion which is Dutch gold or brass leaf. The scabbard face plate is not silvered as many believe also, rather tinned bronze.

Some details of the materials used:
Hilt Walnut and holly wood
Blade Mild steel with brass inlays
Scabbard Oak wood core, Brass edging, top plate and cross bands
Suspension rings Bronze
Pommel nut Bronze
Chape terminal Bronze
Scabbard face plate Tinned bronze sheet
Lockets Brass repousse'
Medallion Brass with Dutch gold (brass leaf) gilding - repousse'

[attachment=12467]1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12468]4.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12475]8_resize.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12470]9.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12472]14.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12473]17.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12474]12.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com
Beautifully done.....
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
A piece of ART a piece of HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks for sharing
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
That inlay in the blade is stunning! Wow, what a great piece of work and what a fitting tribute to one who will be sorely missed on this forum.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Love it looks great! What is the blade made out of?
Underhill Edge

Hand forged edged tools, blades, and functioning historical reproductions.

underhilledge.com

Jack McAuliffe
Marcellvs fantastic work again and a fitting tribute to Brian. He also showed me the art of repousse many years ago :-D You and many others on the forum by doing this work can keep his memory alive. Keep them coming :lol:
Regards Brennivs :lol:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Stunning - simply stunning. As others have said, a wonderful tribute to Brian.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Marcellus... Did you make the blade? Forged? Or material removal? And what thickness did you go with?
Blimey, that's good. A fitting tribute; many congratulations.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Thank you all for the kind comments, much appreciated indeed.

Patrick wrote:
Marcellus... Did you make the blade? Forged? Or material removal? And what thickness did you go with?

Yes Patrick we made the blade. Mild steel...not forged. Material was removed by slow grinder and hand files. 5mm thickness.
Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  tiberius sword plates munazio planco 9 2,665 08-28-2010, 01:22 AM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS
  reconstructing tiberius sword munazio planco 47 7,747 04-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Sword of Tiberius Nathan Ross 5 3,338 10-28-2006, 10:59 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar