Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making my first Subarmalis
...I am about a couple of days away from buying the sheet metal for my seggie Smile

I really think you ought to think about buying chainmail, there's so many great riveted ones out there and you would still be able to look really classy, or more so in it!! Also a hamata can represent multiple time periods, verses a segmentata of only a certain time frame.

Sam
Samuel J.
Well, a seg has the added benefit of containing some extra inches...the hamata and scale let it all out for show..... 8-)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I have a few subarmorali(?)
one with 3-4m leather
one 1-2mm leather (lined with thick felt)
one with linnen on the outside sewn over wadding
the light leather with felt is possibly my favourite but does look excellent under my thicker leather one which has scalloped arm holes and waist.
(however none are as pretty as some of the ones seen in the 'show me yours" threads)

its a multi period thing...
regards
richard
As for Me, as a few have suggested the Hamata, It will not work for me and the impression I am going after. At this point I am not a part of a reenactment group and it will be used for other purposes. I have put a lot of thought to it all. I was originally thinking about full Muscle Cuirass... but as I have proceeded with my studies, etc. I am pretty set with the Seg. realizing that I could lose some weight actually working the other way around, knowing that I have to fit the armor and the armor has to fit me as well. My son is a body builder, and I used to work out with him and will be again soon. I agree with Gaius... on the Hamata lets it all hang out. Another situation for me is funds. I am patient however and am taking it one step at a time.
Quote:Also a hamata can represent multiple time periods, verses a segmentata of only a certain time frame.

Well, that is also not that straightforward as hamata design changes a lot over time.
(lenght, sleeved, doubler type, ring size)
ALA I BATAVORUM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making My First Subarmalis jsantell 7 4,679 03-14-2006, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Titus Amatius Paulus