Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making my first Subarmalis
Greetings! Well its time to make my first Subarmalis. So, I appeal to those who have leather ones, because Mine will be made of leather. If you are apposed to a Leather Subarmalis, I appreciate your likes and dislikes, however I am appealing to those who "Like" leather.

I am working on an Optio Impression in Lorica Segmentata. I know that there is not a lot of information about the Optio or his "Kit".

Input is needed for the Subarmalis.

What types of leather would be the best? Goat, Sheep, Pig or Calf? (I know Vegetable Tanned.)
I am thinking of 2oz. - 3oz. WIth a shoulder padding.

Haven't decided yet if it will be a front or side opening though.

I am 6'1" with a 49" chest and a 40" waist. Any idea how many yards or square feet of leather I will need? I have found most leathers are sold by the square foot.

Any good places to purchase in the USA?

Thanks in Advance for keeping this thread on track.

Patrick
As for making your own, I was reccomended to use 2. oz leather because it's easier to stich through while still providing adequate protection from your kit. Olive oil or Neat's Foot Oil is best to waterproof your leather.
I'm not that good at US leather thickness, but I myself would go with calf or cow. Take a softer leather for the main body (1,5mm) but little thicker pieces for the ptryges (if you gonna add these)

I also would add a shoulder doubling stuffed with sheepskin or horsehair.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:I'm not that good at US leather thickness, but I myself would go with calf or cow. Take a softer leather for the main body (1,5mm) but little thicker pieces for the ptryges (if you gonna add these)

I also would add a shoulder doubling stuffed with sheepskin or horsehair.

Yeah, our shoulder doublings are 2oz leather, but jurjenius has the right idea.
Google for "Zack White Leather". They sell all weights of veg-tan cow hide. I used a full side (half a cow - front to back) to make my new spolas. I have enough scraps to maybe make some kind of sandals or shoes. You can at least get educated on that site and then search ebay or elsewhere if it seems too much money.

I took my rough measurements and laid them out on brown packing filler paper. I then measured the footage and did the math. Good luck.
Cheryl Boeckmann
While I wear a linen subarmalis myself (OK, technically only the two outer layers and the two inner layers are linen, the inside ones are wool, but you get my point) I have no mental problem with a leather one. So I hope you don't my input, because I'm not going to start a leather vs. linen argument.

I'm going to talk about shoulders.

No matter what meterial you make the subarmalis out of, be sure to use lots of padding, especially on the shoulders. I don't know whether you get into battles where people actually hit you with wooden or worse weapons so you'll have to decide about the torso padding yourself. But I would defnitely vouch in for good padding on the shoulders. Even wearing a segmentata for a day can get quite uncomfortable. And when you have to spend a few hours marching in full kit you'll thank your lucky stars for well-padded shoulders.

Edit:
Oh, and I (almost) forgot to add one more thing. Design it with fastening on both sides and reasonably shaped shoulders so it can double up as a camping mat.
---
Martin Žďánský,
a.k.a. Appius Solanius Pertinax
What Martin said! :-)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:While I wear a linen subarmalis myself (OK, technically only the two outer layers and the two inner layers are linen, the inside ones are wool, but you get my point) I have no mental problem with a leather one. So I hope you don't my input, because I'm not going to start a leather vs. linen argument.

I'm going to talk about shoulders.

No matter what meterial you make the subarmalis out of, be sure to use lots of padding, especially on the shoulders. I don't know whether you get into battles where people actually hit you with wooden or worse weapons so you'll have to decide about the torso padding yourself. But I would defnitely vouch in for good padding on the shoulders. Even wearing a segmentata for a day can get quite uncomfortable. And when you have to spend a few hours marching in full kit you'll thank your lucky stars for well-padded shoulders.

Edit:
Oh, and I (almost) forgot to add one more thing. Design it with fastening on both sides and reasonably shaped shoulders so it can double up as a camping mat.

Wow, thats a good idea, I never thought of that.
Before you get carried away....make sure your armour fits over it.
Kevin
Kevin
Appius --Martin... DO you have a picture "Showing" what you mean by turning it into a camping mat? ANd Thanks for your post.
Yes definitely Kevin... I am starting from the ground up. Because I have a chest size of 49" and a Waist of 40" i am finding it difficult to find the armor. So... I figure building from the undergarments up is the best way to go. THis has been a slow process... much slower then I had anticipated and also which impression I want to go with.

I believe the more I know about each each individual piece, historically and practically... the better. I have already found that this can be very Alice in Wonderland... once you pass through that mirror its a totally different world. ALthough I am not a reenact or... and may not be for a while, I don't want to offend anyone either historically or as reenactors.

ANd what can I say? WOW 1500 years of different armament. A lot to chose from and weeding out thoughts the Hollywood has instilled there for years has been a challenge to do mentally.

You want to put things in there that don't belong and take away things that do... because you want to conform it into the image you have and not what is correct.
Patrick I think I used to think a little like that, but I love everything about a true roman's kit now, it's fascinating and yet mysterious. I think chain mail would be better tho man, sorry, I think that would fit your chest and your waist. Whatever, good luck.

Sam
Samuel J.
Quote:DO you have a picture "Showing" what you mean by turning it into a camping mat?

I tried to browse through the photos I have on hand and I can't finde one. However, this simple image might help you since it shows the basic shape of the subarmalis:
[Image: tvarsubarmalis.png]

Place it atop a layer of straw, leaves, pine needles, needled branches or other material that provides thermal insulation and you can call it a bed. Add a collar or pteryges and those will cover the neck hole too, or you can use something else to cover it.

In my experience, you will be way more comfortable than using your cloak alone.
---
Martin Žďánský,
Patrick, about the armor problem - I'm afraid you will have to use a custom-made segmentata, 49' chest plus one or two tunics plus subarmalis equals too big for off-the-shelf segmentatas.

And I would second Fidelis Sam's suggestion about chain mail. Have you considered one? The punched/rivetted ones are reasonably affordable nowadays and they do have some advantages (and disadvantages, of course).

You see, I'm sorry if what I'm about to say is hurtfull and undeserved, but based on your size you have to ask yourself one question: do you think you'll stay about the same size for say a few years? Because if you buy the hamata to your current size, it will remain comfortable even if you'll gain or lose a few pounds. The segmentata is less forgiving - I know a guy who is using his *third* seg now, the previous two must have shrunk or something.
---
Martin Žďánský,
I do have a large seg! While I potentially have a possible
Buyer who may be interested in it, if that falls through, it
May possibly be available, if you were interested!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making My First Subarmalis jsantell 7 4,681 03-14-2006, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Titus Amatius Paulus