Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Combination of niëllo and silvering on belt plates
In this topic I write exclusively about flat Roman belt plates (so without relief) dating from the first century AD that were used by the infantery. See attached document.
It is a fact that some of these flat original belt plates from the first century AD show traces of both niëllo and tinning. One can make a replica of such a belt plate, put niëllo in the engraving and tin the artifact without objection, because the original artifacts tell us that the combination of tinning and niëllo is authentic.
An other belt found in Velsen shows us that its buckle, frogs and undecorated plates were silvered. This proves that the combination of undecorated flat belt plates and silvering can be considered as authentic.

My question is: how likely is it that infantery belt plates with both niëllo and silvering occurred during the Roman days?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(aka Niels)
Quote:My question is: how likely is it that infantery belt plates with both niëllo and silvering occurred during the Roman days?
The first problem here is that many published reports get confused between tinning (a hot tin wash) and silvering (the application of thin silver foil, usually soldered in place). However, all the flat niello-inlaid plates I have ever seen (like this one) were tinned, not silvered (I had an interesting conversation with Nodge Nolan only the other day about the technical difficulties of both tinning and nielloing the same object).

Silvering and nielloing was of course widely practised on cavalry equipment in the 1st century AD) and even some bossed belt plates but I am not aware of any flat ones that combine the techniques. For what it's worth (which is not very much), flat inlaid belt plates tended to be cast, whereas embossed plates were stamped from sheet (and usually of a slightly different composition, as anything cast tended to have a touch of lead in it).

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
[attachment=5408]easyshare2125.jpg[/attachment]

The Velsen beltplates had silver sheet applied to them at some later time in their use where previously they had been silvered or so it is said in the article by Morel and Bosman.

These plates had been removed from the leather belt so as to have the silver sheet fitted to them then the bellcaps re-used to fit them back onto the leather or maybe even a new leather belt. This upgrade of the beltplates might have been carried out after the soldier got a much more decorative dagger.

As Mike Bishop mentions flat inlaid plates tend to be cast as shown by this particular plate which does show that it had been cast in a two piece mold for the casting sprue is still evident at the centre rear of the plate the integral pins would have been formed by being vent holes for the mold.

Here also is a replica of the plate cast of course with epoxy type inlays that have the same consistency as those used by the Romans in the original.

[attachment=5308]DSC01802Small.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=5309]DSC01803Small.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
Thanks for the replies Big Grin.

@Brian: I am very interested in the article by Morel and Bosman, since I live in Velsen where the plates were found, but I can`t find an online version anywhere. Could you send me a digital version of the article, please?
How did you get that belt plate btw? Did you find it yourself as detectorist, or did you buy it, or something else?

@mike: I understand that no belt plates with both niëllo and silvering has ever been found which means that it is unlikely that they occured so it is not authentic to make a silvered replica with niëllo. That is a pity since the contrast between niëllo and silver is beautiful and especially because silver provides a much more durable protective layer than tin does.

Quote:I had an interesting conversation with Nodge Nolan only the other day about the technical difficulties of both tinning and nielloing the same object

Some months ago I have done some experiments to find out how the Romans tinned and niëlloed the same object and I can say that it turned out to be very easy. I got a very nice result without difficulties. The only thing you have to do, is to completely reconsider your knowledge about niëllo. In the near future - let say within a few months - I want to experiment with some organic fluxes which are more authentic to make my working method completely plausible.
(aka Niels)
Thanks for the replies Big Grin.

@Brian: I am very interested in the article by Morel and Bosman, since I live in Velsen where the plates were found, but I can`t find an online version anywhere. Could you send me a digital version of the article, please?
How did you get that belt plate btw? Did you find it yourself as detectorist, or did you buy it, or something else?

@mike: I understand that no belt plates with both niëllo and silvering has ever been found which means that it is unlikely that they occured so it is not authentic to make a silvered replica with niëllo. That is a pity since the contrast between niëllo and silver is beautiful and especially because silver provides a much more durable protective layer than tin does.

Quote:I had an interesting conversation with Nodge Nolan only the other day about the technical difficulties of both tinning and nielloing the same object

Some months ago I have done some experiments to find out how the Romans tinned and niëlloed the same object and I can say that it turned out to be very easy. I got a very nice result without difficulties. The only thing you have to do, is to completely reconsider your knowledge about niëllo. In the near future - let say within a few months - I want to experiment with some organic fluxes which are more authentic to make my working method completely plausible.
(aka Niels)
Niels

The article by Morel and Bosman about what was discovered at Velsen was published in Roman Military Equipment the Sources of Evidence from the fifth Roman Military Equipment Conference edited by C. van Driel Murray, it is in the BAR International Series 476 1989.

The beltplate I did find myself however this particular pattern of plate with exactly the same decoration has been found at several places around Britain, it was not filled with niello but had a red and turquoise infill with the red along the top and bottom boarders.

These inlays were of a paste type that set hard very similar to an apoxy resin type of inlay but what the sustance was I do not know.

Where Mike Bishop has mentioned tinning I would go along with that idea however the Velsen article does tell us silvered plates prior to their covering with silver sheet, so did Morel or Bosman have exact evidence that they were silvered previous or have the just assumed this.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Roman Belt with mixed plates models. Rado 15 5,797 08-05-2017, 10:06 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Tinning belt plates 2biggij 9 3,296 04-14-2017, 04:34 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Niello.....? Doc 6 2,465 10-20-2015, 05:53 AM
Last Post: Crispianus