Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battle of Mursa Major
Hi...new to this site. So, excuse me if I have inadvertently stepped upon any rules or etiquette! I am trying to locate information on the battle of Mursa Major (351 A.D.), fought by two Roman armies under Magnentius and Constantius.

Researching the battle online, I haven't really found a good historical reconstruction of it. I keep coming across the same old recycled blurbs. I don't believe it made it into Ammianus' history - being part of his work that was lost. Julian briefly described it in an oration regarding Constantius - and one or two ecclesiastical writers seem to have commented upon it.

Although Magnentius was outnumbered, and had a significant portion of his cavalry defect (Silvanus) prior to the battle; his army still exacted a heavy toll on the army of Constantius. Magnentius used the river to anchor the left of his line - but Constantius would seemingly have attempted to outflank and envelop the right of it.

Therefore, I wonder if terrain issues on the right precluded or made more difficult a battle of maneuver, and turned Mursa into a head-on battle of attrition - until, perhaps, the cavalry could finally break through much later in the afternoon (the fighting only ended because of night fall).

Just a few amateur ramblings. Anyway...anybody out there who can point to any good online or other sources on it? Thanks.

Steve
([email protected])
Steve - Julian's panegyric to Constantius has some interesting information on the battle - as does Zosimus and I believe Socrates Scholasticus (although it could be Sozomen :oops: I don't have the books with me)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shooting 3 arrows at once at the Battle of Mursa ryddragyn 0 1,181 08-26-2015, 11:20 PM
Last Post: ryddragyn
  Battle of Mursa Major Maximinus243 11 3,624 08-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Mursa - Osijek Natuspardo 4 1,921 11-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat