Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battle of Mursa Major
The battle of Mursa Major is a battle between Constantius II and Magnentius, resulting the loss of over 50,000 Roman troops due to that battle. This is comparable to the total loss of Roman lives during the battle of Cannae.

So in what way does this battle affected the overall performance of the Late Roman army? It isn't easy to replace the loss of so many men in such a quick time, and if anything, is bound to allow barbarians to cross the Roman borders as a result of the death of so many troops, and yet the Romans still managed to replace their loss.

Is this battle really insignificant in the grander scheme of things?
Raymond Ngoh
Quote:Is this battle really insignificant in the grander scheme of things?

Perhaps. You have to remember that barbarian allies made up a large part of the army too. So,the raw casualties probably exaggerate the impact on 'Roman' manpower.

~Theo
Jaime
Quote:
Quote:Is this battle really insignificant in the grander scheme of things?

Perhaps. You have to remember that barbarian allies made up a large part of the army too. So,the raw casualties probably exaggerate the impact on 'Roman' manpower.

~Theo

Nevertheless, it would still result in difficulties for the Romans to replace those barbarians. Why did Historians often mentioned the losses at Adrianople instead of mentioning the losses at Mursa?

It the late Roman army can rebuild itself to a decent standard ( as shown by the performance of Julian's army in Gaul), why would the Roman army degrade after Adrianople?
Raymond Ngoh
Quote:Nevertheless, it would still result in difficulties for the Romans to replace those barbarians. Why did Historians often mentioned the losses at Adrianople instead of mentioning the losses at Mursa?

It the late Roman army can rebuild itself to a decent standard ( as shown by the performance of Julian's army in Gaul), why would the Roman army degrade after Adrianople?
I think that Jaime refers to losses at Mursa being different from losses at Adrianople. If at Mursa the casualties were predominantly from allied federates and other barbarians hired for this campaign (as Constantine and Licinius had done in their civil war), this was different from Adrianople, where the core of the east Roman army fell.

The point is, the Late Roman army could apparently not rebuild itself that fast, at least not to a good standard. After Adrianople the east Roman army was strengthened by units from the West, but after that there were more battles. Magnus Maximus beat Gratian in 383, who was in turn defeated in 388 by Theodosius, who then seems to have taken the best units for his own army. Theodosius then had to beat Arbogast in 394. Thhis weakened both armies, to such an extent that Stilicho did not dare to rely on his forces when he weent after Alaric in Greece later.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
So it is fair to say that the Roman civil wars did more damage to the Roman army as a whole than the barbarians?
Raymond Ngoh
Quote:So it is fair to say that the Roman civil wars did more damage to the Roman army as a whole than the barbarians?

I would think so. The American Civil War left a bitter taste for at least a few generations in the south and the north. It not only takes time to replace men but also get them to trust one another enough to fight side by side. An external threat is much more preferable (I think) than fighting someone I might have grown up with. Civil Wars are always a massive drain on a nation's manpower; both sides are from the same nation...
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Quote:So it is fair to say that the Roman civil wars did more damage to the Roman army as a whole than the barbarians?
In my opinion, absolutely.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
It's kind of hard to defend the front door, when the houshold is sticking daggers in your back.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Perhaps. You have to remember that barbarian allies made up a large part of the army too.

Did they? Must admit that this would be new to me - unless, of course, I am missing something obvious (not for the first time) :roll:

IIRC Zosimus is about all we have on this - or is there more?
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

mailto:[email protected]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.endoftime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/">http://www.endoftime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Quote:
Theodosius the Great:1ur13tnk Wrote:Perhaps. You have to remember that barbarian allies made up a large part of the army too.
Did they? Must admit that this would be new to me - unless, of course, I am missing something obvious (not for the first time) :roll:
IIRC Zosimus is about all we have on this - or is there more?

We also have an excellent desription by Julian who wrote about this battle in his Oratio (Oratio I 36-39 and Oratio II 59-60 I think) as well as the 12th c. Iohannes Zonaras (Extracts of History II.1 and XIII.17).
I think you are right, we don't know in detail what forces fought on either side. But the high number of casualties seems not to have been of great effect on the Roman offensive capabilities. Therefore I would suggest that (like Constantine and Licinius a few years earlier) both opponents had swelled their number with large amounts of hired mercenaries for this campaign. These troops may have born the brunt of the attack (as Theodosius did at the river Frigidus later). But i admit this is speculation from me.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote: But the high number of casualties seems not to have been of great effect on the Roman offensive capabilities. Therefore I would suggest that (like Constantine and Licinius a few years earlier) both opponents had swelled their number with large amounts of hired mercenaries for this campaign.

You are, of course, assuming that the casualty figure is reasonably accurate Smile
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

mailto:[email protected]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.endoftime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/">http://www.endoftime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Quote:You are, of course, assuming that the casualty figure is reasonably accurate Smile
If not, the topic of this discussion is void anyway. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shooting 3 arrows at once at the Battle of Mursa ryddragyn 0 1,179 08-26-2015, 11:20 PM
Last Post: ryddragyn
  Battle of Mursa Major Steve O\'Reilly 1 1,794 08-26-2012, 06:21 AM
Last Post: markhebb
  Mursa - Osijek Natuspardo 4 1,915 11-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat