Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did troops approve an imperial adlocutio?
Hi,

I'm doing a small section on how troops in the third and fourth centuries signified approval of an imperial speech (adlocutio). I've got plenty references to the vocal aspect but Ammianus is unclear regarding how the shield was used to signify approval. At some places he just mentions a clashing of the shield (with what one may ask) and at 15.8.15 he claims that striking of the shields against knees by the troops shows complet approval while the smiting of shields with spears shows disapproval. problem here is some scholars think the reference to the spears/shields is a textual error.

I'm not great on the earlier empire - does anyone have any examples from then that couldhelp me?

cheers,
Mark
Hi Mark - I was hoping that somebody might have an answer for this one, as I've wondered about it myself. Particularly the knees/shields thing, which sounds peculiar and quite painful! Does the possible textual error you mention relate to this?

There's a thread here about the gestures or salutes used in the imperial adlocutio, with links to previous discussions. This is mainly all based on the scenes on Trajan's column though, with some vague references in literature to salutes and acclamations. Nothing, pre-Ammianus, about banging shields or weapons, as far as I know.

Perhaps this, like the barritus and the 'teeth gnashing' that A mentions on a number of occasions, was intended to be a 'barbarian' practice?

Incidentally, has anyone ever tried collective teeth gnashing, to discover what it sounds like? I don't imagine it would be very loud, but if enough did it together it might produce an eerie effect, perhaps...
Nathan Ross
Or could the collective teeth gnashing simply be a literary trope?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adlocutio markhebb 0 1,068 12-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Last Post: markhebb