Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New book on Hadrian\'s Wall
Medusa, are you aware of the 14 edition of the "Handbook to the Roman Wall", by David J Breeze? It is not the least expensive guid to the wall, but it weighs in at 512 pages with lots of maps, sketches, and photos (all B&W). It is an invaluable resource to those who study and/or walk the wall.
Quote:How would it work with the Kindle software for PCs, could I download this from Amazon as well or where do I get this? I don't know anything about this since I'm in this point an old fashioned person and I would print out the thing then so still some dead trees although I use recycled paper.
Been having huge problems replying to this thread so this is by way of a test.

More later if it works!

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
It has worked Mike!
Welcome back! Sometimes new technology is not all it is cracked up to be :wink: !

Robert wrote:
Not sure what you mean by 'then and now'... I think your art would work well in a guidebook-format though - perhaps M.C. Bishop's next book could be a collaboration...? (That said, it would definitely need a colour e-reader and those won't be ubiquitous for a few years yet.)

A painting showing a particular viewpoint as it was then and another image showing the same scene as it is now so the viewer can use it as a location finder. I would certainly be interested in working with Mike Bishop on something like that, even if it was on Kindle or whatever, would it be marketable?

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:How would it work with the Kindle software for PCs, could I download this from Amazon as well or where do I get this? I don't know anything about this since I'm in this point an old fashioned person and I would print out the thing then so still some dead trees although I use recycled paper.
Right, now that I have sorted the problem with not being able to post to this thread, I can answer this (avoiding 'sensitive' words... without actually knowing what they are!).

There are a number of software solutions to not actually having a Kindle. These all work as a program (the old word for app) on your computer. Amazon have provided an alternative as a workaround to the problems the iPad has introduced with their Kindle Cloud Reader, which works with any computer that has an internet connection and a browser like Chrome or Firefox. Note that you don't need a permanent connection as the use of HTML5 means the browser can actually download a book for offline reading (yay!).

So far as I'm aware, none of the Amazon Kindle versions (hardware or software) allow you to print text onto dead trees. A sheaf of A4 printout on Hadrian's Wall on a windy day is NOT a good idea, anyway. I may produce a PDF or paper version one day, if demand justifies it, but I found little interest in the PDF version of Introduction to Hadrian's Wall (and the paper version just sells to the Vindolanda Trust and a couple of other outlets) so would be reluctant to do that again. The point is, the Guide works best in a portable digital form, whether as a Kindle ereader or a smart phone. Ford Prefect did not carry a bundle of paper with him around the galaxy.

Mike Bishop

Quote:It has worked Mike!
Welcome back! Sometimes new technology is not all it is cracked up to be :wink: !
Oh it almost always is. The problem is our implementation of it (all lovers of 'the cloud' need to be taken on a tour of Highland Scotland, as I have just done, to be shown that the most appropriate navigational aid is usually an OS map); horses for courses.

Quote:A painting showing a particular viewpoint as it was then and another image showing the same scene as it is now so the viewer can use it as a location finder.
But that only works from one angle. What if I want to walk around a turret examining the different angles (or even different attempts at reconstructing the roof)? I am already working on such an augmented reality app which takes a computer graphic and overlays it on what you see through the camera of your smart phone but there are huge problems (it will be a long time before a graphic transmitted over a patchy cell network could match your artwork to the same degree as Jim Bowers' movie work could). More importantly, I for one don't want to walk around clutching tech all the time; just watch the visitors to an English Heritage site with their audio guides listening to a simplified interpretation and not actually seeing the site. It is the same problem with your brain that makes phone users into trance zombies (after a jay-walking user was squashed by a piece of machinery, some developers now ban the use of mobile phones on building sites except in small enclosures where people can wander around blabbing in safety). The key is always the clever and appropriate use of technology.

Mike Bishop

Quote:Well, for the photography, since small, radio-controlled UAV "drones" are now available as a video platform for anyone who wants to build one, why not just fly along the route and make your own photos? The air is still free of property lines for small flyers like those.
I can see the RAF loving that. The whole Wall area is still a military low-flying zone (250ft nap-of-the-earth stuff), when they can afford the fuel, and wandering drones would be unlikely to be well received. When I used to glide in Northumberland the NOTAMs always included any kite-flying in the vicinity; kites in the UK are limited by the CAA to 60m without obtaining permission and most drones, even electric ones, can exceed that (CAA currently says the limits are 122m and less than 7kg). At least a kite is fixed to the flyer (theoretically!) - what if a drone goes AWOL in a strong gust (I was on the Wall during the aftermath of Hurricane Katia in 2011 and it was windy)?! I suspect most Tornado pilots would prefer not to suck even 7kg of stray tech into an engine intake.

Mike Bishop

Bought the book on Kindle last night - really rather good- thanks!
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:Bought the book on Kindle last night - really rather good- thanks!
Glad you like it. All based on a true story, as The Good Dr Coulston would say.

Mike Bishop

And speaking of the good Dr Coulston, any news of when "All the Emperor's men" is coming out? http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/I...tion/Oxbow

Oxbow seem to have been a bit previous with the 2011 date.... :roll:
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:And speaking of the good Dr Coulston, any news of when "All the Emperor's men" is coming out?
:lol:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:And speaking of the good Dr Coulston, any news of when "All the Emperor's men" is coming out?
Now that is a very good question.

Mike Bishop

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Future Learn - Hadrian\'s Wall tigger 3 2,220 05-21-2015, 01:55 AM
Last Post: Charlie
  Everyday Life of a Soldier on Hadrian\'s Wall Quintus Aurelius Lepidus 0 1,323 04-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
  Podcast on Hadrian\'s Wall sculpture mcbishop 0 982 09-28-2013, 09:17 AM
Last Post: mcbishop