Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbridge Hoard
As many of you will know, the Corbridge Hoard has recently been redisplayed at Corbridge Roman Site museum (here is the English Heritage press release about it complete with some of the footage taken by Charlie Anderson and featuring a young Brian Dobson; they have tactfully omitted the bit where part of the armour slides off Wink ). It is much more imaginative than the original hotch-potch (not hard) but remember that it is a) not all of the Hoard and b) part of it is on display in the Great North Museum. Here is my overall annotated view of it (snapped on my phone) and here is a detail showing the armour with links to my detailed photos of the components. I was not consulted on the new display so can't comment on any of the decisions about what was displayed and where.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thanks for posting. Will pop in if I have time tomorrow!
Perhaps they are trying to show all the possible cuirass' in one display?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thank you for posting this - I visited Corbridge a few days before it was put up, and was most annoyed to discover my bad timing! Does the text explain the composite reconstruction at all?
Quote:I was not consulted on the new display so can't comment on any of the decisions about what was displayed and where.
! Good grief. Dare I ask if L. Allason Jones was consulted, or is that a sore subject?
Back in 1978, I saw a couple sections from the armor of the Corbridge Hoard at the Newcastle Museum of Antiquities.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Corbridge Hoard on telly mcbishop 10 2,368 11-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Last Post: mcbishop
  Corbridge Hoard Gaius Colletti 25 4,954 08-30-2011, 02:52 AM
Last Post: markusaurelius