Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbridge Hoard
Can someone please give me some details about this "hoard"? How, when, and in what conditions the contents were in? I understand there were 6 cuirass found there, but what else? Any explanation as to why it was left there? How deep was it buried? What was this "chest" the finds were found in?
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Well, it seems that chest was packed when Corbridge was abondened and not taken away. It indeed contained several curasses, together with spearheads, and other militaria. Just see this exploded view drawing by Peter Connolly.

[Image: lrgcorbrghoard.jpg]

For more information and detailed drawings of the pieces in there, check the following report:
Excavations at Roman Corbridge: The Hoard (Historic Buildings & Monuments Commission for England Archaeological Report Series, No 7)
By Allason-Jones and Bishop.
# ISBN-10: 1850741913
# ISBN-13: 978-1850741916
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thats exactly the book I was going to say, just checked the availability and found the price is an astronomical 300-400usd for a used copy as its out of print, Im wondering now if I should sell my Mint copy..... :wink:

The book is contained in a light card slip case with scale Drawings of the complete Lorica layed out so very usefull for making a reconstruction or two..
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
well, I got my copy recently a lot cheaper. Just keep looking for cheap deals and you'll find one eventually (and two weeks later an even cheaper one)
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Thats exactly the book I was going to say, just checked the availability and found the price is an astronomical 300-400usd for a used copy as its out of print, Im wondering now if I should sell my Mint copy..... :wink:

The book is contained in a light card slip case with scale Drawings of the complete Lorica layed out so very usefull for making a reconstruction or two..
Yes, it's a good example of the totally ridiculous internetflation that some secondhand book dealers indulge in. If it's any help, I am hoping to put the whole thing on the web once the layout is out of copyright (1988 + 25 years) providing Lindsay and the other contributors are in agreement. Although the volume claims it is copyright HBMC (what the rather schizophrenic English Heritage used to call themselves) that is spurious as none of the contributors signed away copyright (I never do, on principle).

Meanwhile, I long ago penned a summary for Wikipedia that hasn't been too badly mauled by Wikimorons.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
WOW that's an awesome drawing. What condition were the segmentatae found in?!

Sam
Samuel J.
I really was shocked, last night, to find out that the Corbridge Hoard was dated to the Hadrianic period. I assumed, because of the lorica fittings that it belonged in the 1stC. :|
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
just seen all the pics of it! It's surely an amazing find, but I wonder is it's possible for there to be something like it, but in the dessert?! Then it'd be much nicer condition. And I find it strange to pay anywhere close to that kind of money on a book, especially when you have libraries and the internet :lol:

Sam
Samuel J.
Photos from Corbridge museum I took last year (almost to the day!)of LS from the hoard. I think they had a replica of the box but if they did I didn't photograph it for some reason :roll:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:I really was shocked, last night, to find out that the Corbridge Hoard was dated to the Hadrianic period. I assumed, because of the lorica fittings that it belonged in the 1stC. :|
I shudder to think what you'll make of the Corbridge-type fittings from 4th-century contexts at León!

CH as a 1st-century find is an old meme that Robinson derived from what he was told by the excavators. He was not an archaeologist so could not evaluate it correctly.

Mike Bishop

Quote: I wonder is it's possible for there to be something like it, but in the dessert?! Then it'd be much nicer condition.

Have you read up on Dura Europos Sam? A dozen or so Roman soldiers were "entombed" in a counter-mine, to prevent Persians from digging into the city. I know there was a shield in exceptional condition (for it being 2000 years old, and still having the original paint and whatnot on it). I am unaware of what else exactly was found there. Check it out

-Matt
Vindex, thank you for the pictures, I would love to see more of the hoard if anyone else has pictures.

Dr. Bishop, I don't suppose you have handled any of the Corbridge finds yourself have you?

-Matt
Quote:Dr. Bishop, I don't suppose you have handled any of the Corbridge finds yourself have you?
Couldn't really have written the book without doing so. ;-) I was also sitting next to Peter Connolly (it was in the Archaeology Annexe at Newcastle University in 1987 I think) when he did the first draft of that drawing. I told him what I wanted and he started sketching it out in pencil and that is when I saw true talent in operation. Any idiot can look through a bunch of rusty bits and say something portentous about it but to take my notion of what the reconstruction should look like (which was made up from a crummy bunch of sketches and a few black and white photos of the unpacking process) and just make it happen before your eyes was an unforgettable experience and one that Peter could 'just do'.

Here are my photos of the armour which I took whilst studying it.

Mike Bishop

Matt

I've tried to send you a PM - can you let me know if you get it please? I seem to be having trouble with them at the moment...
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:Excavations at Roman Corbridge: The Hoard (Historic Buildings & Monuments Commission for England Archaeological Report Series, No 7) By Allason-Jones and Bishop.
While you wait for the publication, you can read a review of it here:
[attachment=1548]Campbell_1989_Britannia20.pdf[/attachment]

Attached Files
.pdf   Campbell_1989_Britannia20.pdf (Size: 47.5 KB / Downloads: 0)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Corbridge Hoard on telly mcbishop 10 2,331 11-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Last Post: mcbishop
  Corbridge Hoard mcbishop 3 1,719 08-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Quintius Clavus