Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet Identification and Historical Accuracy HELP
I can't see any pictures of the original equipment either Eduardo, perhaps they changed them to private settings (Friend request still pending, but I am subscribed), or was asked to remove them by the museums?
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
It would be a shame if they were not accessible anymore... I had just known them and was planning to use some etruscan urns as a reference. I hope it's not a problem with museums (hasn't the intellectual property of these objects expired centuries ago? Tongue ) I'll try to find out.
Eduardo Vázquez
An art museum in my city allows photography of certain pictures/artifacts (no flash of course) in certain galleries, but not in others as other museums reserve the rights. So they play an ownership game, which is a travesty, because it should be available to public in all forms.

Perhaps I will send them a PM
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
I understand that pictures should be avoided under some circumstances, if it's proved that flashes damage the objects. But trying to keep the property over the diffusion of images of objects that should be of public domain... that's mad. The whole catalogue of museums should be on the web, so everyone and everywhere could access them. It's the case of the Montefortino i comissioned. The helmet is of public property, but it's stored and only researchers (i hope) can have a look at it.
Eduardo Vázquez
Museums like anyone else what you to pay for their services. THat is why you buy a ticket to enter the museum.
Quote:if it's proved that flashes damage the objects.

But is it? Seems there are also other reasons for this museums habit. Of course, as you say, luckily enough more musea are publishing whole their collection on internet in good resolution, often with the option to request even High-res versions for personal use.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Patrick, it depends on how you consider museums. Business or a public service? I tend to consider them the second. The display of our heritage. So they should be funded with public money, and as accessible as possible. But it's my point of view. On the other hand, people would not stop going to museums even if all their funds were accessible in the web.
Eduardo Vázquez
I totally agree with you... However... there isn't a whole lot of money available from public funds. I am also a Master Woodcarver. Most all of my works are unveiled in Historical type museums. WHich I have done for free in order to help raise support for the Museum. If you google my name patrick Pointer you will find my website which shows some of the unveilings. Although I have specialized in Great Lakes Maritime and Natural History... I am considering doing some Roman Artwork in the near future. Check out my web page if you want to see what kind of work I do.

I am also considering making castings. I was a journeyman model maker in the automotive industry along with my artistic skills. I have see many things lacking in what it available for the Roman Reenactor that can be purchased. Just a thought... what do you think?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Helmet Identification Bryan 2 1,130 07-22-2015, 03:18 AM
Last Post: Creon01