Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
amphorae - ancient containerisation
Where Musivarius mentions that it would be easier to stack a cart with them horizontal this could cause the problem of the lower ones getting the short sharp shock treatment of all the bounce of the cart on cobbled roads such as the surface of the Via Appia and other not so smooth roads.

They did I suppose have a way of sealing the tops against spill but put horizontal and as mentioned about Roman roads there would be wine and oil all over the place in the first mile.
The system of racks for any vertical mode of transport I think works out to be the one of most simple logic for ships that don't want pots rolling all over in the hold or carts having oil or wine dripping all over their carts and roads.
Brian Stobbs
This raises an interesting point, and one I hadn't given much thought to before.

A tall narrow container, filled with liquid, would have less "slosh" (like pushing a carton of milk across a table) reducing the effect lateral forces. Further this would reduce the amount of sway the roughly handled liquid would have on transport carts.

The even narrower neck and rounded shoulders (like a modern wine bottle) would also limit the amount of force that the liquid could apply to the cork with vertical forces like shaking or bouncing in a cart reducing the likely hood of a spill.
Phil
Marius Lucian Fidelis
Sorry - edited out my reply as the points had been covered but which only appeared on my screen after I pressed the "submit" button.

But I will just add that earlier forms of pottery are still called amphora even though they don't have quite an exaggerated form. One assumes the amphora as illustrated in the original post are those for the optimum loading capacity on a vessel.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
The way the amphorae are stacked in the photo is very good explained in this video :

http://youtu.be/C1HBR0IbcmM

41:12

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Have to think about the entire container system and why it came about. Several books have been written, and containerization has transformed global commerce over the last fifty years. The standard size was key, so cranes and shipyards could fit the same box onto a truck or train with no human handling. Ships no longer need the packing skills of stevedores. You also get electric generation, computing farms and labs delivered in containers. A lot of specialization that might have you scratching your head if you saw just one out of context to the whole system. Maybe this concept is overlooked by academia, though there are some arguments about Roman globalization.

Were ship designs optimized to take amphorae? Costs? Distribution? Handling? Supply chain? Wagons? Sounds likea great thesis paper.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Here's a recent find of a sunken merchant ship.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amphorae typology Folkert van Wijk 3 1,381 10-26-2014, 06:13 PM
Last Post: Folkert van Wijk
  Amphorae Lothia 7 2,209 02-26-2007, 09:23 AM
Last Post: Carlton Bach