Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sassanid cataphract armor
Sassanid cataphract armor reconstructed by helenicarmors.gr

[attachment=4307]rings.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=4308]rings001.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=4309]rings002.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Never have seen that kind of boots in period sources. Nevertheless very good! Now, where's his horse?
ALA I BATAVORUM
Jurjen, can you not see the Brown stallion he is mounted on? :-o

You should have gone to Spec-Savers!! :-P

The armour looks interesting! I saw ottoman period scale and plate like that
in the Leeds Armoury. Is there possiblities tha tit was ussed i nthis early a period, or just
speculation?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:The armour looks interesting! I saw ottoman period scale and plate like that
in the Leeds Armoury. Is there possiblities tha tit was ussed i nthis early a period, or just
speculation?

His armour is based on the Dura Europos graffito, there's been a bit more of a discussion here but I do not agree with his interpretation. Until I come across finds or more detailed depictions showing maille-and-plate, I personally believe the abdomen armour is lamellar.

Not entirely sure I agree with the chest armour (I believe it was maille); the helmet is probably justifiable but the lancer in the graffito is wearing a tall rivetted conical helmet more remiscent of the steppe.

I'm really sorry to be critical about it as the armour does look fantastic otherwise and looks like it would have been a lot of work to make as well! Sad

There is some talk of maille-and-plate being used by the Sarmatians, but I haven't really explored it fully (mostly because I don't speak Russian). But I wouldn't want to make an assumption without seeing pictures of the finds or depictions showing it.

Here's an image of the graffito:

[Image: duragrafittis.jpg]

The armour he is wearing and even his identity is disputed.

Where's your sword and lance? :mrgreen:
Nadeem Ahmad

Eran ud Turan - reconstructing the Iranian and Indian world between Alexander and Islam
https://www.facebook.com/eranudturan
Yes, I'm aware of the thread and the grafitti!

I can't help thinking the chest could be smaller scale....

I'd be interestedin this sassainian plate and mail info too!
If there are images!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Perhaps one of our Sarmatian experts might know more about maille-and-plate in a Sarmatian context?

Some of the finds from this website are interesting:http://badaew.narod.ru/sarmat/sarmat.htm - a very posh horned helmet that may have Central Asian influences, the tall, directly rivetted conical helmets as seen on the graffito, and a Chinese sword, among other pieces.

Mughal and Iranian maille-and-plate is some of my favourite armour ever, hopefully I will get some put together someday! :mrgreen:
Nadeem Ahmad

Eran ud Turan - reconstructing the Iranian and Indian world between Alexander and Islam
Ahhh, yeah, that's easy for you to say.....

Quote:Данная работа - попытка дать краткий очерк формирования и развития тяжелой конницы на конкретных материалах археологических памятников Закубанья, выяснить место этого региона в формировании комплекса вооружения сарматских катафрактариев, определить истоки и исходные компоненты этого комплекса.

Территориальные рамки настоящего исследования ограничены Левобережьем Кубани, на участке от станицы Северской на западе до реки Лабы на востоке, являвшимся ядром сложения меотской культуры, где эта культура, по меньшей мере, до II-I вв. до н.э., сохранилась в наиболее "чистом" виде, мало затронутом посторонними влияниями. Таким образом, выбранный регион наиболее наглядно демонстрирует механизм взаимодействия аборигенного и пришлого населения в первые века н.э., в том числе и в области вооружения, и связанной с ним тактике.

Для работы привлечены некоторые результаты анализа более чем 700 погребений III в. до н.э. - середины III в. н.э. с территории Закубанья. В среднем около 30 % из них содержали предметы вооружения. Подсчет взаимовстречаемости оружия, доспеха и конского снаряжения позволил получить представление о составе войска и применяемой тактике. Так, в III-I вв. до н.э. на изучаемой территории в меотском войске преобладала легковооруженная копьеносная пехота, в составе которой было очень много (до 50%) метателей дротиков. Конница также была вооружена главным образом копьями, количество лучников было невелико. И конница, и пехота не имели металлических доспехов [3]. Положение стало меняться с усилением сарматской экспансии и образованием смешанного меото-сарматского племенного массива. Картографирование показывает высокую плотность и относительную равномерность распределения металлического доспеха на территории Среднего Закубанья (рис.1).

It's all greek to me... Cry

Found them...doh...
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Ahhh, yeah, that's easy for you to say.....

Quote:Данная работа - попытка дать краткий очерк формирования и развития тяжелой конницы на конкретных материалах археологических памятников Закубанья, выяснить место этого региона в формировании комплекса вооружения сарматских катафрактариев, определить истоки и исходные компоненты этого комплекса.

Территориальные рамки настоящего исследования ограничены Левобережьем Кубани, на участке от станицы Северской на западе до реки Лабы на востоке, являвшимся ядром сложения меотской культуры, где эта культура, по меньшей мере, до II-I вв. до н.э., сохранилась в наиболее "чистом" виде, мало затронутом посторонними влияниями. Таким образом, выбранный регион наиболее наглядно демонстрирует механизм взаимодействия аборигенного и пришлого населения в первые века н.э., в том числе и в области вооружения, и связанной с ним тактике.

Для работы привлечены некоторые результаты анализа более чем 700 погребений III в. до н.э. - середины III в. н.э. с территории Закубанья. В среднем около 30 % из них содержали предметы вооружения. Подсчет взаимовстречаемости оружия, доспеха и конского снаряжения позволил получить представление о составе войска и применяемой тактике. Так, в III-I вв. до н.э. на изучаемой территории в меотском войске преобладала легковооруженная копьеносная пехота, в составе которой было очень много (до 50%) метателей дротиков. Конница также была вооружена главным образом копьями, количество лучников было невелико. И конница, и пехота не имели металлических доспехов [3]. Положение стало меняться с усилением сарматской экспансии и образованием смешанного меото-сарматского племенного массива. Картографирование показывает высокую плотность и относительную равномерность распределения металлического доспеха на территории Среднего Закубанья (рис.1).

It's al lgreek to me... Cry

I didn't see any links to images... :-?

Russian, actually :mrgreen:

Sorry, I should have been clearer. There are images at the bottom just above the references. They are marked:

Рисунки к статье :
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Each number is a link to a figure.

There's a massive wealth of information published on the internet in Russian. I just put it through Google translate and most of the time it makes sense Cool
Nadeem Ahmad

Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar post=314848 Wrote:It's al lgreek to me... Cry
Russian, actually :mrgreen:
Greek or Russian, we do have Google translate:

This work - an attempt to give a brief sketch of the formation and development of heavy cavalry on the specific materials of archaeological sites Kuban Region, find a place in this region in the formation of complex weapons Sarmatian katafraktariev, to determine the origins and initial components of this complex.

The territorial scope of this study are limited to Left Bank of Kuban, the area from the village of Seversk in the west to the river Elbe in the east, are the core of the addition Meotian culture where this culture, at least until the II-I centuries. BC, preserved in the most "pure" form, there is little affected by extraneous influences. Thus, the selected region most clearly demonstrates the mechanism of interaction between indigenous and migrant populations in the first century AD, including in the field of arms and related tactics.

For some of the work involved analysis of more than 700 burials of the III. BC - Middle of the III. BC from the territory of Kuban Region. On average, about 30% of them contained items of armament. Counting vzaimovstrechaemosti weapons, armor and horse harness allowed to get an idea of ​​the composition of forces and the tactics used. Thus, in the III-I centuries. BC in the study area was dominated by the army in Meotian lightly kopenosnaya infantry, which included a lot (50%), throwing darts. The cavalry was also armed primarily with spears, the number of archers was small. And the cavalry and infantry had no metal armor [3]. The situation began to change with the increasing expansion of the Sarmatian and the formation of mixed Meotic-Sarmatian tribal array. Mapping shows a high density and relatively uniform distribution of metal armor in the Middle Kuban Region (Fig. 1).
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)