Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signa - late republic and reign of Augustus
Quote:Do any of you know literary sources from the top of your head about:
No, not of the top of my head. But I can check some sources. :mrgreen:

Quote:[*]The return of Crassus' standards by the Parthians
Non-exhaustive, of course:
-- Suetonius, Div. Aug. 21.3 (the Crassan standards together with the Antonian)
-- Augustus, Res Gestae 29 mentions the standards lost in Spain (during the Cantabrian campaign, probably), Gaul (unknown), Dalmatia (Gabinius and Vatinius) and Parthia (Crassus and Antony), the latter deposited in the temple of Mars Ultor)
-- Cassius Dio, 53.33.1. The Parthian standards and captives are returned in exchange for the son of Phraates

Also Horace, Odes 4.15.6-8, Ep. 1.12.27-8, 18.56-7; Propertius 4.6.79-84; Ovid, Fasti 5.580-94, 6.465-8, Tr. 2.227-8;

And modern sources
-- M. Wissemann, Die Parther in der Augusteischen Dichtung; J.P.A. van der Vin, 'The return of Roman ensigns from Parthia', Bulletin Antieke Beschaving 56 (1981), 117-39, this taken from references in J. W. Rich, Augustus's Parthian Honours, the Temple of Mars Ultor and the Arch in the Forum Romanum, Papers of the British School at Rome, Vol. 66 (1998), pp. 71-128, available on Jstor.

Quote:Any other significant event involving standards (not "just" about a battle, but with more importance)
Plutarch Crassus 23 mentions the bad omen of the standards sticking in the earth before his march against Parthia, something that happened also during other wars.

There are several instances where generals encourage their soldiers by throwing the standards into the enemy ranks; loss of a standard also causes Legio X to invade Britain despite their qualms.The aquilifer jumped off the ship, and the reluctant soldiers had to follow or lose their eagle (Caesar, BG.4.25).

Is that the kind of other information you are looking for?
M. Caecilius M.f. Maxentius - Max C.

Qui vincit non est victor nisi victus fatetur
- Q. Ennius, Annales, Frag. XXXI, 493

Secretary of the Ricciacus Frënn (http://www.ricciacus.lu/)
@Byron: yes I looked, nothing about the standards though (as far as I've seen).

@Max: thank you! Some of them I already had, some of them I had not. It's indeed that kind of information I was looking for, but for now, I have enough.

Thank you very much for your help, everyone!
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tasks and age of Military Tribunes during the Late Republic and Principate Corvus 8 752 12-11-2021, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Flavius Inismeus
  Late republic deployment McClane 1 1,577 11-02-2016, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Bryan
  Tactical Change in the Late Republic Michael J. Taylor 5 3,431 03-19-2016, 01:03 AM
Last Post: Steven James