Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Converting lead to gold or ...
Quote:Yes, it is. I used a 7.5cm neck guard on mine, based on the same drawings/photograph as Brian's helmet is based on.

Here is mine:

[Image: IMG_5012.jpg]

Salve Jvrjenivs please check PM
Marek Matous
MARCVS VLPIVS TRANQVILLVS
MILES COHORTIS V PRAETORIAE
[attachment=3920]bowl01Small.jpg[/attachment]
As well as the left cheekplate being damaged and replaced by the one that has survived today there was also a piece of the front of the bowl with a silver rosette still in it.
Then also when found the helmet neck guard had a bronze rosette at its right end similar to the ones showing on the surviving cheekplate.
It was Ludwig Lindenschmit who was able to examine this helmet and found that this is how these rosettes were fitted.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
As Brian points out, the article from Lindenschmit seams to suggest that small nails were used. With respect to the cheek piece attachments, not only is the issue with the hinge in question but also the position of the rosettes being a bit high and also too forward to be in place for the cheek piece hinge. Also, the supposed Gallic G shows evidence that the rivets where the rosettes are were not used to hold the hinge.

Note that the helmets where the two rivets are found to hold the cheek pieces, are much lower than those of the G or D. For instance, have a look at the Gallic C helmet and the Gallic A. The rivets there are almost at the same level as the bottom of the bowl. If you then compare these to the D or G, you will see that the flange would have to be much larger and higher to accommodate such high rivet positions.

Have a look at the helmet we think is definitely that of a centurio...the Sisak helmet. The rosettes and their rivets are nearly under the brow band......very low as those of the Gallic C and A. The rivets of the Sisak helmet most definitely were holding the cheek piece.

Another helmet, the Italic D......there are NO rosettes and yet how are the cheek pieces attached? With a flat rivet under the brow band. Thus a cheek piece can be attached without having a huge flange that reaches 1/3 the way up the bowl and still be functional.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
There is a helmet Formerly in the Guttmann collection where you can see the tiny nails holding on the bezels in some early photos and in later photos you see they have done some restoration and replaced the enamel and can no longer see the nails. Brian is right that some bezels were held on this way.

I Have the Lindenschmit article but I don't remember seeing any details on the mounting method of the brow band, enamel, or anything else for that matter. I will have to read it again. He does talk about the fact that the brass edging is roped except on the repaired cheek. You see this roping on one other helmet as well, a Gallic A, but I cant remember The particular helmet?
Dean Cunningham,

Metalsmith, Father, dilettante

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Converting a Brass Coolus \"C\" Pointer 1 1,021 12-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Converting a Qama to a Fulham gladius Aetius Helvius Merula 16 4,752 08-25-2007, 08:38 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Converting a Corbridge A to a B... Anonymous 0 847 01-19-2005, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Anonymous