Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to wear a roman cloak?
Hi Matt

If you have a look at my website gsillustrator.co.uk in the Late Roman Empire section of the image galleries there is a third century soldier based on the funeral portrait from Luxor wearing a brown cloak in this manner. The details were all closely copied from the original painting.

If it is not too clear on the webpage PM me and send me your email address and I will post you a clearer copy.

Jyrki
"I checked Graham's books on roman military clothing and there seem to have been some variation between the sizes, some being larger, some smaller (for example some found in Egypt)...
"

Bare in mind some of those cloaks may not be military ones, they just happen to survive and the measurements are given as a comparison to the military cloak which is mentioned in the papyrus document BGU VII 1564. The size of that was 2.66m long x 1.77m wide.
Hope this helps.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
I think I get it...

Legion: TBD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Way to wear a Late Roman Waistbelt Antoninus05 4 2,058 11-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Antoninus05
  New late Roman Coptic cloak pictures Cheyenne 3 2,642 05-16-2011, 09:41 PM
Last Post: Statius
  What Roman Soldiers Wear Vincula 4 1,717 02-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell