Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Way to wear a Late Roman Waistbelt
I'm making a 4th Century Roman Waistbelt and I have noticed from members photos, that people are wearing them 2 different directions.....meaning, some wearing the belt tip strap going to the left, some to the right. Here the U.S. , when I wear a modern belt, the buckle is on my left side and the tip end enters the buckle from the right.
In making this Roman belt, I need to know which direction is correct as I am putting the loops on for a pouch , so the belt cannot be flipped over as the loops will then be on top of the belt.
    It may be there is no set right or left configuration, hence why some here have buckle left end and some have buckle right end...but I did notice this and want to be correct as I begin putting the belt together this week, thanks, Antoninus

Below is buckle Right, tip left

Another buckle Right, tip left

Buckle left, tip right

Another buckle left, tip right

In this photo, (l-r) the second man has the buckle on the right, the third and fourth men have the buckle on the left.

This photo of a belt illustrates my dilemma , this belt has to have the buckle on the left and tip on the right as the rings or loops must be on the bottom to attach a pouch or whatever to, if the belt were reversed, the loops would be on top, hence my question.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Michael T. Boyd
Victoria, Texas
Cohort V
Legio Hispana IX
Cornuti Seniores

Roman Soldier Impressions are focused on 1st Through 4th Century AD
Michael, I pondered about this too some time ago. In fact the belt was being used both ways, strap to the left and strap to the right. I think in Bishop & Coulston`s "Roman Military Equipment" is a picture showing this.
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
That was my suspicion as well, that both ways are correct.
I just wanted to hear from someone like yourself before I begin construction......as you know, it is quite the investment already with all the components.
Thank you very much for your input.
Michael T. Boyd
Victoria, Texas
Cohort V
Legio Hispana IX
Cornuti Seniores

I think it's purely personal. First the way you are accustomed to (un)fasten your belt, second if you're a left- or right-hander.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
That's great, thank you guys, always appreciate the guidance, Antoninus
Michael T. Boyd
Victoria, Texas
Cohort V
Legio Hispana IX
Cornuti Seniores

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to wear a roman cloak? Virilis 16 8,113 04-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Magnus
  Question regarding the Wear of Late Roman Tunic chukissaki 3 1,860 04-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  What Roman Soldiers Wear Vincula 4 1,709 02-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell