Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Milliary Diet- Archaeological Perspective Help
Cheapest copy is on Abe Books if anyone is considering purchasing this:

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Search...roman+army
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:I have not seen S. Stallibrass & R. Thomas ...
Okay, I have now.

Quote:But the majority of the papers cover logistics rather than the commodities themselves.
True. That's a pity. But the closing chapter has interesting observations from the volume as a whole, and is available here: http://leicester.academia.edu/RichardThomas/.

Edit: I meant to mention that the latest issue of Journal of Roman Archaeology (Vol. 24, 2011) has an article by R. Hesse (pp. 215ff) that looks as if it might be relevant to the diet debate, ... but I ran out of photocopying credits! :roll:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Going through the bibliography of Stallibrass & Thomas throws up a number of items that may be relevant to the subject of diet.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Quote:Is there really nothing more recent?
I should have mentioned that Tony King has been steadily updating his 1984 analysis, which is still basically valid. In The Roman Army as a Community (eds. Goldsworthy & Haynes, 1999), he published further observations on "Animals and the Roman army: the evidence of animal bones" (pp. 139-149), in which he wrote that "New data published since 1984 strongly reinforce these conclusions" (i.e. the conclusions of Davies 1971 and King 1984). I haven't seen his paper on "The Romanization of diet in the western empire", in S. Keay & N. Terrenato (eds.), Italy and the West: Comparative Issues in Romanization (Oxbow, 2001), pp. 210-223, which is probably a further update.

The question seems to boil down to (a) evidence of actual diet from sewage deposits (Bearsden and Alphen aan den Rijn; I'm sure there was material from York, too), and (b) circumstantial evidence of animal bones found on military sites (i.e. the catalogues in Davies 1971 and King 1984 etc.).
Well I would read Stalibrass and Thomas' paper if I could get the damned web site to log me in grrr.... :?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:Well I would read Stalibrass and Thomas' paper if I could get the damned web site to log me in grrr.... :?
If you do succeed in logging in, you will get not only the final chapter but the bibliography as well.
Michael King Macdona

Got in at last...the introductory chapter is on the same site.
Moi Watson

Hia all,

lost my interwebs for a few days, not the best timing :roll:

Wow lots of articles and bits being suggested here (big thank you)..I best get a move on this week with it..still wondering how I should approach it as its only 15 minutes.

I was thinking perhaps maybe limiting the foodstuffs I look at to something like:

"What archaeological evidence is there for the consumption of meat products within British military fortresses"

after I have tackled some of the reading ill pop back as this will most likely change, just need a little structure to work from.
Ok I have settled for this after some suggestions from my tutor-

‘What is the evidence for the consumption of meats on Roman military sites in Britain?’.

If anyone wishes to tweak it thats fine. Im trying to get hold of this book:

Feeding the Roman army : the archaeology of production and supply in NW Europe / edited by Sue Stallibrass and Richard Thomas.

But it's out and won't be back in time...I THINK i've found it on PDF here:

http://dspace.ubvu.vu.nl/bitstream/1871/..._Groot.pdf

But the pages are staying blank...can anyone have a go and if it works email me it over asap please?

[email protected]

Be very greatful!
Just emailed it to you, looked fine on my end. Have a great day.
Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
Unfortunately, it is only one paper and that not relating to Britain.
Michael King Macdona

Quote:Unfortunately, it is only one paper and that not relating to Britain.

Yes just had a browse of it now :roll:

I've found some chapters on academia.edu but looking for chapters 2 & 8 if anyone stumbles onto them

"Feeding the wolf in Cheshire: models and (a few) facts" by Peter Carrington
"Feeding the army from Dorset: pottery, salt and the Roman state" By James Gerrard

I'm reading through chapters 1 & 3 now :-D
Quote:... looking for chapters 2 & 8 if anyone stumbles onto them: ...
"Feeding the army from Dorset: pottery, salt and the Roman state" By James Gerrard
Hold on! You're going to bury yourself in pottery studies if you're not careful. The distribution of Black Burnished ware is certainly fascinating, but it probably requires more than 15 minutes to do it justice. And it's not really relevant to your theme of meat-eating, anyway.

My advice would be to concentrate on finding anything by Tony King which directly addresses your theme. And use Roy Davies' article to place it into broad context.
Thank you...I do have a tendancy to drift off and become embedded into subjects not relevent! It's been about 4 years since I did a presentation & I keep forgetting i'm not doing an essay!

Thanks for the jab back to the topic hehe :lol:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Roman Tribes: A New Perspective Renatus 3 2,621 03-21-2016, 12:30 AM
Last Post: Steven James
  milliary cohorts hansvl 8 2,313 07-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell