Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excavate Ancient Sites as a Volunteer
Find a dig (with "g") offers layman and volunteers to participate in archaeological excavations. Passing by such sites around the Med as a tourist many times I have developed romantic notions of bending down with a toothbrush in century-old dust, roasting in the merciless Med sun and tons of sand between the teeth and in the ears. I can think of camaraderie between the team members in adverse circumstances, in the evening good old campfire romantic with somebody striking not a right tone on the guitar and infrequent supply trips to the next God-forsaken human dwelling feeling like city trips to London or Paris. Not to mention that short Khaki trousers can look good on many a woman.

In short, I am hopeless romantic about it and I want to know if you have made any such holidays as volunteer and what do professionals think of them and their contribution?
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
No, but sounds much like the way I imagine it!
I wish I had the time and money to dedicate to one of these.
Looked at Vindolanda a few years back, and a few in the Med, but never persued them.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I have always wanted to do this. Last summer I even did some research on volunteering, but never followed up on it.

But I'm a bit curious. I looked at an Italian dig at random and noticed the cost:

Quote:Cost

US/Canada: $3,300
Rest of the world: €2,325

Evidently this only covers room and board, meals, and a few extras like "seminars / drawing workshop." The company administering this one in particular is a limited liability company, not a non-profit. Is this a money-making venture? There isn't anything wrong with that, if the real academic work isn't impeded, but I would want to know where, exactly, my money is going.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Egypt to excavate Roman city submerged in sea cacrispvs 1 980 05-25-2006, 01:53 AM
Last Post: cacrispvs