Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Massive hoard of Roman coins found in Bath, UK
They don't appear to be all from the same year or the same mint. That would be a very rare hoard.
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Quote:
kevin mills post=309507 Wrote:Numismatisitsts....i cant even say it...lol..I hate that word ...even though i know what it means....numismatic...i can understand why it is needed in the archeological world but to "Joe Public" why not say....currency.
Numismatists. Wink

Definition: (1) A numismatist is a scholar who studies the science of Numismatics. Among coin collectors, the term numismatist is used to mean anybody who is really serious about their coin collecting, or who grades, catalogs, or sells coins for a living.

I have a coin collection, most are US coins but I have 2 late roman bronzes, both worth about 40 buck combined, i got them for 22 dollars. I also have an old judean coin from Alexander III i believe it was, dated to 106 BC. My Bronzes are of Constantine the Great and of Theodosius II. I'm trying to get a Valentinian III coin.
I have to say that over many years of metal detecting I have increased my knowledge of the Roman Emperors from coins that I have found, and I would also say that with Roman coins from the numismatic point of view it is the reverse type of the coin that tells us so much more with it's propaganda subject.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Large \"barbarian hoard\" found near Germersheim(D)? Simplex 23 5,320 10-22-2014, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  Exeters Roman Bath House 66kbm 10 2,237 03-08-2014, 12:28 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Late Roman hoard from Vodice, Slovenia Robert Vermaat 1 1,553 05-29-2011, 01:01 AM
Last Post: markusaurelius