Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Massive hoard of Roman coins found in Bath, UK
This find - 30,000 coins - is only 9 miles/15 km from where I live! Big Grin
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Silly question but one i dont know the answer to but how do they know its 30,000 coins if they are fused together and does silver "fuse"?
Also if found by Archeologists then why do the coins need to be purchased...treasure trove?
Still it shows what is still out there to be found.
Kevin

33 kg of silver if my calculationsare correct
Value on the market...just silver content not historical context...
£20,000 working on 0.925 purity content :eek:
A good days work then.
Kevin
Treasure act, silver and gold items found on private or public lands are government property.
OK....I dont understand why ,if the govt owns it,why cant it go straight to a museum?....in fact i can understand because it makes revenue for them.
Shame on them.
Still a big lump of silver though
Kevin
Kevin
Not sure I understand this.

If the hoard was found by archaeologists, yes they still have to declare the treasure but under any excavation the pre planning phase HAS to nominate which museum will receive the artefacts with the agreement of the County Archaeologist.

One can only assume that the landowner has made a prior claim on the hoard which necessitates the museum having to buy it instead of receiving it as a gift/donation (which is the norm). :roll:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I knew summit sounded odd....Straight from the horses mouth (avatar pic)..thanks Moi.
I think we havn't been given the facts, as usual, so all we are doing are speculating, buts its fun to do so.
I know nothing about the find/dig?...but i presume the landowner was informed prior to the necessary details involved if anything was found and i dont think the dig was random so there was a pretty good idea summit would of been found.
Re my prior post....how big a lump is 33kg of Silver?...a foot square?
Ideas anyone?
Kevin
Kevin
I know silver ingots have been found but 33kg is a lot of silver even if it is of dubious/unknown quality.

An ingot of lead might get to that sort of weight...and just for you Kev, one of said ingots which has Leg II Aug stamped on it :wink: (I was concentrating on the water wheel but you can see it to the bottom left). The wheel is a reconstruction from the gold mine at Luentinum, not entirely sure where the ingot came from now...it'll be in a catalougie of finds somewhere!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Kevin from the picture it appears that most of the coins are not denarii (silver) but Antoninianii which would make them base metal with a silver wash applied to them or very low silver content (it depends). If the picture is of the actual find they appear to be Gordian III and that era. I would imagine that museums and scholars would only be interested in a hoard analysis but wouldn't be too interested in the coins themselves since most from this era are quite common and readily available.

It would be cool however if they were displayed "as found" and it appears that that is what is intended for them.
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Re ingots of lead...i'm sure they came from Chaterhouse in the Mendips...big lead production....ingot with Leg II stamp found in southern France...moving on...
Maybee one can relate to 30kg of silver as a 20kg bag of cement as in size...thats a pretty dense material.
Still a stunning find.....one day my day will come here in Devon Confusedhock: Honest
Kevin

Thanks Jay
So it appears the media are not telling the whole truth or are "selective" in what they decide to tell us...its good you people out there know your "stuff" and can keep the rest of us informed.
It SHOULD be displayed as it was found...agreed, what other use is the hoard to anyone.
If common coinage my "mills denari calculator" goes to pot...lol
I do apologise but i seem to have hijacked this thread.
I'm sorry
Kevin
Kevin
Well a hoard analysis will tell us the oldest and newest coin so we can pinpoint the date it was buried, not earlier than the last coin. It also helps determine any die matches which help us see the rate of wear to the dies and how far coins were distributed from their mint origin. Also there may be some rare or new types which are unknown which helps us date events through titles found on coins. This in particularly the case when dies are modified for new titles, so there is a lot to learn from a hoard but as individual coins usually there is not a lot of value per piece. A common Gordian III Antoninianus can be had for about $30...but when there are 30 000 of them! Confusedhock:
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Yet i recently purchased a Silver Denarius of Vespasian at £12, very fine. luck of the draw on E-Bay...but thats not a value of the coin.
Depends on quality of coinage and mint marks as you said...but thats collectors not historical context.
"its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it"...i do hope in this case that the price stays low and the hoard remains in the custody of the local museum.
As for you points on the wear/type/new/rare...surely as this hoard was found by archeologists then those details have allready been logged/recorded.
Still one hell of a hoard....congratulations to the man/woman who found it.
Kevin
Kevin
Yes, the coin report from both this and the hoard near Devizes will keep numismatists busy for years. :wink:
Moi Watson

Numismatisitsts....i cant even say it...lol..I hate that word ...even though i know what it means....numismatic...i can understand why it is needed in the archeological world but to "Joe Public" why not say....currency.
Less big words and more youngsters following...who knows wether they may find the next great hoard.....off subject sorry.
From recent readings i can undersatand why such a hoard was left at Bath.legoi II and XX were in the vicinity....but not XX the date produced by the coinage...but also recorded gravestones of legionaires.
In the long run in the late 3rd cent a huge amount of coinage was left at Bath....i say there is more earlier to be found.
If found please return to
Kevin Mills
Blah Blah
Blah
Blah
LOL
Keep hunting people....it all starts to fill in piecies of the jigsaw that we do not know what the whole picture looks like.
Kevin
Kevin
If it's indeed all from one year (but how can they tell without researching every coin?) it could be one issue from a particular mint (Londinium?) to pay officials and military.

Quote:So it appears the media are not telling the whole truth or are "selective" in what they decide to tell us...
So when do they ever? Most journalists are quite lazy, newspapers are only interested in fast, gaudy stories. It's what sells that counts, not what's well-researched. :x
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Numismatisitsts....i cant even say it...lol..I hate that word ...even though i know what it means....numismatic...i can understand why it is needed in the archeological world but to "Joe Public" why not say....currency.
Numismatists. Wink

Definition: (1) A numismatist is a scholar who studies the science of Numismatics. Among coin collectors, the term numismatist is used to mean anybody who is really serious about their coin collecting, or who grades, catalogs, or sells coins for a living.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Large \"barbarian hoard\" found near Germersheim(D)? Simplex 23 5,283 10-22-2014, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  Exeters Roman Bath House 66kbm 10 2,207 03-08-2014, 12:28 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Late Roman hoard from Vodice, Slovenia Robert Vermaat 1 1,547 05-29-2011, 01:01 AM
Last Post: markusaurelius