Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horsehair Crests
lol yeah and you wont get it for like two years.
For just running around in I wouldn't suggest a Manning helmet. Just too overpriced for what it is. For just a costume helmet don't spend too much. Few if any helmets are really accurate as that accuracy costs a lot to achieve. My helmets are no cheaper than Manning as there is just no easy way they are made.

Is accuracy important to you at this stage?
Michael
Well right now I don't see myself actually buying one. I'm just a broke highschool student. I love what you guys are doing though. I think its awesome. Id love to be able to do this in the future, and when I can get the money to do it accuracy will be fairly important. Not more then my wallet though. Right now I just wanna make realatively historically accurate ceramicIs helmets. Is there any sort of group in spokane that does this reenactment?
Ethan, Roman reenactment groups are far and few between, for example I live in the 4th largest city in Ohio and the closest groups are in Indiana and Canada. There were some Ohio groups at some point, but they appear to be all inactive. Now Greek groups are even more far and few between. You have to be willing to travel, that is just part of the hobby unfortunately.
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Well that's a bummer. Well like I said might not do anything like that anytime soon, is it worth the drive? Where do you all get your stuff? From Dioskouri? Does it matter what you get?
Firstly you need to pick a time period you want to represent, assuming you want to do something as early as the 600s BC you could use a linothorax as your armor (there is no indefinite time period we know exactly when the linothorax was developed), several members here, including myself have purchased a linothorax from this ebay seller. They are from the recent Alexander movie but with some slight modification they can be appropriate for multiple time periods: http://www.ebay.com/sch/brookster_007/m....231b0bbb8a

Making a chiton (tunic) is much easier than you may think, forget about the bare shouldered togas you've seen on TV (at least for this sort of impression). To get an idea of an Ionic Chiton, you need two rectangles of fabric, I want to say more so linen for the Greeks than wool but I may be wrong, now sew the sides together, but leave the top third or so unsewn for your arms, sew the shoulders, and you have a chiton: http://www.greyhawkes.com/blacksword/spa...chiton.htm

Multiple vendors sell all the other parts that you may not have easy access to, such as metalsmithing, I have used both Kult of Athena: http://www.kultofathena.com/greek.aspn and Soul of the Warrior: http://legvi.tripod.com/armamentarium/id77.html

Both vendors sell excellent and historically questionable items, please ask on the forum before purchasing anything you are unsure of.

For the bare essentials you'll need:
Helmet, many styles to chose from
Cuirass, brass/bronze, linen or leather
Sandals
Tunic
Sword & Spear
Shield
Greaves (optional)
Cloak (optional)

I'm new the the reenactment scene myself and while I have worn my kit in public I've never actually been to an event in my kit, this will be my first year. But I love having people check out my armor and ask questions. I'm a poor college student, so I know all about getting your kit little by little. It took me almost a year to get all of my kit you see in my avatar, am I'm still not completely done.

Reenactment is great, you not only get to do something cool, but you learn a lot in the process. You get out as much as you are willing to put in. My knowledge of Greece is nowhere near that of my Roman knowledge (which is still minuscule compared to some of the great minds we have here), but I would check out Matt Amt's Hoplite page you get a basic understanding of what you are getting into: http://www.larp.com/hoplite/

-Matt
Thanks Matt you've been a huge help. I definitely would have to choose something from ancient Greece. What is the most popular time period people like to re enact? Does it matter if your time period isn't congruent with others?
Ethan,

I have a section on how to build a proper (aristocratic) spolas if you'd like to visit: www.thehoplites/com (The Goat's Pen)
*WARNING! Do not go there if you are easily offended or politically correct (read: uber-left)!! I am not responsible for the way certain things are interpreted by anyone other than myself. If you can see past the tongue-in-cheek terminology that appears there from time to time, you will enjoy the visit - and possibly learn something along the way. Hope you enjoy! Confusedmile:
Bill
Bill,

Ruh-row - expired domain! Can't go to your site!
Cheryl Boeckmann
It says your domain has expired Bill.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Really? I'll have t check into that - :oops: Thanks.
Bill
Quote:Thanks Matt you've been a huge help. I definitely would have to choose something from ancient Greece. What is the most popular time period people like to re enact? Does it matter if your time period isn't congruent with others?

That's totally up to you, there is at least one Roman on this site who has parts of a kit that doesn't all date to the same period, because he doesn't plan to reenact and is just a collector. But know the reenactor community can be very unforgiving of unauthenticties, and rightfully so, as Hollywood has given people a false representation of the ancients and they do not want people further bastardizing the Greek panoply.

That said, some things don't change much, sandals, tunics (different types, but not much evolution), tube and yoke cuirass (linothorax/spolas), kopis swords (unless you get a later Spanish/Carthaginian design), sandals, aspis/hoplon (except for design, and I don't consider the Macedonian phalanx's shields the same type), really I think the helmet and cuirass are the biggest deciding factor. Now I am much more familiar with Greek history than specific parts of a kit, so feel free more learned Greeks to correct me if I have taken to many liberties.

-Matt
OK! We're up again. Sorry about that! Again, I want to stress - the site is a bit "edgy" and may not appeal to all people's tastes. I will step on your toes if you are hyper-sensitive or have a "chip." Nothing personal is intended (even if it may sound that way)! However, if you don't take yourself all that seriously, you might enjoy the goodies. :roll:

P.S.: Matt, did you get the PM I sent you?
Bill