Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horsehair Crests
Hey all. My name is Ethan and I just joined this forum. I'm in high-school and am currently taking ceramics. This semester my teacher assigned us to make a mask. Well I decided to kick it up a notch and make a full sized spartan helmet. More or less. But I've run into a predicament. How the hell do I make the plume?! I can't figure it out. I've done my research and most sites let you buy one which cost a lot and are already in a wooden trough. I think that's what they're called And most instructions to make one are for a Roman plume. Anyways if anyone could steer me in the right direction that would be great.

Here are some pics of my helmet. Not entirely historically accurate, but I gave it a shot.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I think the best way to approach this project based in what you currently have is to fill in the crest box you have with clay and push in 1/4" holes spaced regularly in rows throughout. This way the hair can be glued into those holes after firing.

If that is going to add too much weight to the overall project I would leave that area as-is and complete the whole helmet and fire. Then add sculpey or air-dry clay in the crest area as described before. Either way you'll need many rows of these holes to insert the hair into.
Michael
Thanks for the help. Thats a good idea. I would have waited a little bit to add the crest box, but the surface area was so big the thing was drying out faster then I could finish it, and I doubt it will stay wet over the weekend. Even after being covered so I threw it on. I don't think the weight will be an issue. I don't intend to wear it regularly. To fragile. Might just wear it once for shits and giggles. How deep should the holes be, and what kinda spacing between them to get a full good looking crest?
I wouldn't space them further apart than 3 millimeters. Depth should be no less than 1" or the hair tufts can't be glued in well enough and won't have enough support to to stay upright.
Michael
Should I use tail or mane horse hair in the construction of the crest? How much should I buy, and where?
Mane or tail, though tail tends to be longer. You'll need hair that is 6-8" long and probably 3/4-1lbs of it. You may want to check to see if you have a Tandy Leather Craft by you or try eBay. Hair color can make a big difference in price though. Most natural colors are reasonably price but white is always expensive as it can be dyed any other color. Likely cost is going to be (ballpark) $50-$80.
Michael
Thanks for the help Dioskouri. I talked to my teacher in class today about your advice. The only problem is that my helmet is pretty much dry. And if I try to fill in the crest box for the holes it would create an air bubble which would cause my piece to explode. And the helmet isn't thick enough to make a 1inch hole. So he suggested firing it it then using an expanding quick drying foam to hold the hairs in place. What do you think?
Yes that it is how I suggested you do it. Fire the helmet and finish it then add the crest hair. Foam or air-clay might work
Michael
Oh yeah forgot you mentioned that. Well thanks, you've been a huge help. Ill post some pictures when its finished.
Great
Michael
Update: So here it is painted. Didn't turn out exactly how I planned it, but I'm happy with it.
[attachment=3359]downsized_0312121103-2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=3360]downsized_0312121103a-2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=3361]0312121103c-3.jpg[/attachment]

I think I'm gonna make a better new one. One that's a better fit, better made and more historically accurate. Like this one...
[attachment=3362]yhst-31454406522016_2202_184323160.jpeg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

thats not historically accurate either...
Really? Looks better then mine. What would be a historically accurate helmet then?
heres the website to a great armorer from australia, check out his greek helmets.

http://www.manningimperial.com/item.php?...=3&c_id=56
Thanks for the help. Hes got some sweet stuff. Expensive as hell though.