Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
StV abbreviation?
In Habicht's notes to the new Loeb Polybius, I have come across the abbreviation StV followed by a number (as if it is a catalogue of entries) but, despite racking my poor brain, I cannot imagine what it stands for.

Can some kind soul please put me out of my misery?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Scottish TV? (Seemed appropriate :wink: )

Or the dreaded and much cursed St Valentine?? <no vomiting icon available>

Seriously...you'll just have to be miserable :mrgreen:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Hi Duncan,

Quote:Can some kind soul please put me out of my misery?

Die Staatsverträge des Altertums.
Ildar Kayumov
XLegio Forum (in Russian)
I have found it listed in this reference - a commentary on Livy - but it doesn't say what it means unless you have this particular volume... :roll:

A Commentary on Livy, Books XXXLV-XXXVII
Book by John Briscoe; Oxford University Press, 1981

so one assumes it is as Ildar says. :?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:Seriously...you'll just have to be miserable :mrgreen:
My "Thank You" was mean ironically, of course. :wink:

Thanks, Ildar. And thanks also to Ross Cowan, who sent the same info. I now feel rather foolish. Better than feeling miserable, though.

(Does anyone else think this is a rather obscure reference work to cite in a Loeb? Without a list of abbreviations!)
Quote:(Does anyone else think this is a rather obscure reference work to cite in a Loeb? Without a list of abbreviations!)
My life is haunted by dodgy abbreviations and incomplete references (when I first worked my way through Webster's Scapula paper, donkey's years ago, many of his footnotes were plain wrong and some of the abbreviations were made up). Anyway, here's confirmation for you (and another list of abbrevs to slip into your copy-editing file).

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Big Grin I was once reading an old Loeb and got stuck on some bizarre citations. Eventually, someone (Jasper, perhaps?) pointed out that they were citing the individual "authors" of the Historia Augusta. I never would have figured that out on my own.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:Anyway, here's confirmation for you (and another list of abbrevs to slip into your copy-editing file).
Not so fast! It seems that even Lee E. Patterson is confused by this obscure reference work. "ed. C.H. Beck", he says. Er, isn't that a publishing house?! :roll:
Quote: "ed. C.H. Beck", he says. Er, isn't that a publishing house?! :roll:
Yes, but you can't rule out the possibility that one of the Becks also edited the journal ;-)

Mike Bishop

PS Is your avatar an animated GIF or something? It seems to change every five minutes!

Quote:(..., many of his footnotes were plain wrong and some of the abbreviations were made up).
Ah, dear old Graham has provided amusement and enlightenment in equal measure over the years.

Quote:Yes, but you can't rule out the possibility that one of the Becks also edited the journal.
Nailed it!
[attachment=3011]StV3.jpg[/attachment]
Thanks to all who helped put me on the right track.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I love that quote – praising with faint damns, indeed! :???:

Mike Bishop

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abbreviation Assistance Please - RIB i Vindex 10 2,220 12-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Last Post: mcbishop