Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abbreviation Assistance Please - RIB i
There is a reference in RIB Vol II Fasc I (Military Diplomas amongst other things) which states (very annoyingly!) "The list contains items not already listed in the Bibliography of RIB i, pp. xxiii-xxxi, which should be consulted for the remainder"

I don't have this RIB Cry and the reference I am looking for is E Birley AC cii (1952-3) 17 - 19

Its the 'AC cii' in particular as I am assuming it is a periodical of some sort. :???:

Hopeful thanks in advance.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:There is a reference in RIB Vol II Fasc I (Military Diplomas amongst other things) which states (very annoyingly!) "The list contains items not already listed in the Bibliography of RIB i, pp. xxiii-xxxi, which should be consulted for the remainder"

I don't have this RIB Cry and the reference I am looking for is E Birley AC cii (1952-3) 17 - 19

Its the 'AC cii' in particular as I am assuming it is a periodical of some sort. :???:
Spot on; it's Archaeologia Cambrensis. Here is the full citation.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
I believe the reference is from 'Roman garrisons in Wales'. As for the journal - L'antiquite classique?

Edit: Oh dear, half right. A standardised set of abbreviations would be tremendously useful, especially if it could put retroactively in place. Confused
Quote:I believe the reference is from 'Roman garrisons in Wales'. As for the journal - L'antiquite classique?

Edit: Oh dear, half right. A standardised set of abbreviations would be tremendously useful, especially if it could put retroactively in place. Confused

A standard list of abbreviations is ALL volumes would help considerably - but thank you for your assistance.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:A standardised set of abbreviations would be tremendously useful
It can be handy having this by you:
http://www.annee-philologique.com/files/sigles_fr.pdf

Mind you, it would not have helped in this case.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Quote:
Robert Matthew post=325746 Wrote:A standardised set of abbreviations would be tremendously useful
It can be handy having this by you:
http://www.annee-philologique.com/files/sigles_fr.pdf

Mind you, it would not have helped in this case.
Unfortunately that's exactly where I got my wrong answer from... I am slightly surprised that a review article in Britannia (where I got the paper title from) didn't differentiate more clearly between the two journals though.
Quote:Unfortunately that's exactly where I got my wrong answer from... I am slightly surprised that a review article in Britannia (where I got the paper title from) didn't differentiate more clearly between the two journals though.
Doesn't help where the citation pre-dates the L'Année Philiologique system of abbreviation (which has not always been universally accepted and differs in some respects from that favoured by the DAI; academics in the past often devised their own (Graham Webster was really good at this, as I found out to my cost, but most Wall scholars were at it too) so I'm afraid you have to know the beast with which you are dealing.

As a f'rinstance: Journal of Roman Military Equipment Studies is JRMES under the AP system (also my favoured version), but counter-intuitively JRomMilSt under DAI (why not JRomMilEqSt I hear you ask: beats me!). The best bit of this muddle is that the overlap between DAI and AP is of course partial, not complete, so some abbreviations exist only in one but not the other. Cool, eh?!

When I left school I worked as a junior library assistant in an academic medical library for two years; in that field, citation was efficiently organised, predictable, and generally things were easily tracked down, but when I dealt with inter-library loans I still found myself having to hunt down some of the more obscure periodical titles (British Library demanded full titles, not abbreviations, for a reference). I became very, very good at it (assistant librarian would not tolerate failure) and the persistence and methodology I learnt there were the most valuable tools I had when I wrote my PhD thesis.

Mike Bishop

Quote:As a f'rinstance: Journal of Roman Military Equipment Studies is JRMES under the AP system (also my favoured version), but counter-intuitively JRomMilSt under DAI (why not JRomMilEqSt I hear you ask: beats me!).
'Journal of Roman Military Studies' doesn't sound like a completely implausible title for a future periodical, so I do have to wonder why they excluded 'Eq'. :/ As far as I'm concerned, full journal titles are what Harvard bibliographies are for. Just need to convince other people of that...
Quote:A standardised set of abbreviations would be tremendously useful, especially if it could put retroactively in place.
I must admit that I have always favoured L'Année philologique's list, but American publishers seem to favour the American Journal of Archaeology's abbreviations (which, again, would have been no help).

The last few editions of the Oxford Classical Dictionary have unwisely jumped on the abbreviation band-wagon (again, they don't list this one). Interestingly, RIB-3 uses Arch. Camb. for Archaeologia Cambrensis (very sensibly).
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote: Interestingly, RIB-3 uses Arch. Camb. for Archaeologia Cambrensis (very sensibly).

...which is why I found it so confusing!
Moi Watson

Perhaps what is needed is a wiki page with all the possibilities tabulated. Thus you could have columns for DAI, AE, AJA, and so on, and space for others to enter other systems as and when discovered. Incidentally, in the old days before the British Archaeological Bibliography was online-only (and before it acquired an 'Irish') they had their own system of abbreviations, under which I'm pretty sure Archaeologia Cambrensis was ArchCamb!

I remember in my days in the library I used to get journal titles from the British Library list of Serial Publications and the World List of Scientific Periodicals (which covered most – but by no means all – of what I was hunting for).

Possibly a RAT project for the future?

Mike Bishop

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  StV abbreviation? D B Campbell 10 2,462 02-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Last Post: mcbishop