Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\"Puzzling news from around Hedemünden\" ?!
What is the dating of this hoard?
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Which one ?

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
Quote:Recent reconstructions:
http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http:...A&dur=2413

I just looove that 'fantasy' image at the bottom of the page: orks attacking high-plumed Romans! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Siggi: this last pdf. Haven't seen written in it.
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Mark,
I think I "got you" now.
There is no reference to a hoard because there is, strictly speaking, no hoard as such that has been found in the course of the excavations at Hedemünden and its surroundings through the last couple of years -- well that is excluding the last 2 years, of course. Because of danger of illegal diggings they are keeping news about such things a bit "under cover".
The pics with these lots of finds that are depicted in the "pdf" (pics 6-13) have actually been found at different places and at various times and represent the more important finds.
One of the pugios found had a couple of other pieces of metal coming with it, but they are not calling that a hoard -- rather a "pugio find-ensemble".
(It's marked in the course of the Roman way from the "Kring"--- near the lower left Corner-- towards the Hedemünden Camp )
New finds will turn up with time as the Surveys and excavations are still going on -- but more on the outskirts of Hedemünden.
But a hoard HAD been found around Hedemünden -- in 1855. It's location is marked in Pic number 17.
It's the "M" marked where the Autobahn A7 crosses the Roman"course of ingression".
(As usual in the Germania Magna this is identical with older trading routes.)
The hoard seemed to have been quite substantial but has been sold and "molten in" a long time ago with only a handful of coins remaining.

Greez

Simplex

P.S. As for the datings :
There seem to have been 2 different Levels -- at least.
The first one belonging to the "Oberaden-find-horizon" with coin -based dating from 11 BC to 7 BC "Terminus Post Quem" according to a counterstamped coin of 7BC.
More finds and the Placement of the camp in the context of later military operations seem to suggest that parts of the camp-area (as you see in pic 17 this is quite large) remained in Roman use frequently later on.
Siggi K.
Puzzling news ?! This time for real.
Dr. Dietwulf Baatz, retired chef of the Saalburg Institute sets on to challemge Dr. Grote's (and other people's !) clues about the finding place of Hedemünden on river Werra .
Well more I cannot say for I just ( literally) ran into the abstract of his works to be published in the most recent RGZM yearbook:
http://web.rgzm.de/en/news-details/artic...ingen.html
Very interesting.
Since I have no access to that issue -- maybe sone else is able to tell us more.

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
Interesting fort layout. Another wild car like Lunt.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
...actually more like the augustean camp at Sasbach-Limberg/Kaiserstuhl.
(250x120m oval)
Since there is a distinctly more sophisticated layout of the two (known) gates, this may be one of the feats that got Dr. Baatz (re-)thinking -- as far as I suspect.
The lineup of the (four ?) gates at Hedemünden seems a bit, well ...strange
That said--- I have still to read Dr. Baatz reasoning in full.

Greez

Simplex

P.S. I'm waiting on the Verbs "Varus" and/or "Germanicus" thrown into the ensuing discussion. ;-)
Ahem...Dr. Baatz publication is in the recent Archäologisches Korrespondenzblatt -- not in the RGZM-yearbook, of course.
But then: should I have molested you with minuscules when the link was right ?! :-)
Siggi K.
If I understand that correctly, you are very right. Amazing none brought that up so far. I assume that some people in the Osnabrück area might get "cold feet" sooner or later. Might geographically fit much better to the sources, especially in regard of the latitude of Vetera / Xanten. Looks like a lot of fun. I will get some popcorn to watch this one ring on.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Ya my man, Christian !
....now let the games begin..... :mrgreen:

Greez

Simplex
Now "back to main topic" :
https://www.academia.edu/8136284/Rez._zu...Jb_85_2013
This is a Review of Dr. Grote's book by Christian Heitz of Innsbruck University.
He expresses his uneasyness towards of the book's shortcomings, e.g. when it comes to compare it to other Roman finding-spots of the same time- and finds-horizons.
Siggi K.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman camp at Hedemünden near Göttingen. Anonymous 81 23,281 08-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  Hedemünden : Lidar-Scan Simplex 4 2,014 03-12-2011, 05:22 AM
Last Post: Simplex