Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek Helmets. with or without crests.... ??
THank you for taking time to answer...Well, there is not much here that I can answer to since I agree with the biggest part.

''It also depends upon which time period we are considering, which region, and which types of troops.''
This probably explains it all.

The point I was making, or two points are - we should not label all bronze items as ceremonial just because they were out of reach for the most (arguable). It all comes down to budget right. And to notions of what is luxury. And we can not know that. I don't think our modern logics would relate perfectly with theirs, because there would be many works we would consider unnecesarry, and they didn't. But that's just me.No need to argue on that.

And it brings us to my second point - it depends highly on what is considered a standard for you and what for me..Maybe standard was not the good choice of the word for me, especially with so many cities, classes, politics, aspirations, systems, pockets...For me the standard is something elite has, both in skill and arms - and others aspire to. And for you standard maybe what the majority is using.

I think in a sense we are all right, since probably all versions we all bring here were seen by the ancient battlefields. Maybe I follow a bit romanticized version of some elite heroes without money or blacksmith issues, while you support more down to earth theory, aka the majority of hoplites.
Nikolas Gulan

Messages In This Thread
Re: Greek Helmets. with or without crests.... ?? - by Gulan - 02-04-2012, 08:45 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek Helmet Crests Giannis K. Hoplite 48 19,609 04-29-2015, 08:31 PM
Last Post: urricjohnson1908
  Greek Helmets With Scales Iphitos 47 8,989 05-10-2014, 05:20 AM
Last Post: Feinman
  Greek helmets galore The Oracle 176 47,285 04-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar