Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek Helmets. with or without crests.... ??
Absolutely correct. While wood is the most likely and probably commonest material it's important to remember that individual taste is always a factor. No across the board standard in any item can be used as construction varies from region, chronology.

Pitch! Yes! I make it if anyone is intersted in buying a chunk. It's tacky like molasses when heated. Then it hardens and glues stuff together surprisingly well. While modern glues may have better adhesion overall, pitch is hard to beat for welding wood and metal together. It has a little flex in it unlike modern glue. If you used it to affix a crest, and that crest needed to be removed, simply heat the helmet and the pitch loosens. I used it for spearheads and sarouters and it is really unmovable. I was not able to budge the spearhead at all even with pliers. I heated the spearhead with a torch and it loosened and came right off. It's windeed up stuff.

It's a mess to make but I have a pot of it made if anyone is interested.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Greek Helmets. with or without crests.... ?? - by Kyros Messalides - 02-03-2012, 10:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek Helmet Crests Giannis K. Hoplite 48 19,609 04-29-2015, 08:31 PM
Last Post: urricjohnson1908
  Greek Helmets With Scales Iphitos 47 8,988 05-10-2014, 05:20 AM
Last Post: Feinman
  Greek helmets galore The Oracle 176 47,278 04-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar