Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Hallaton helmet
In november i was talking to Peter Liddle the County archaeologist for Leicestershire and he said the majority of the coins were local Coritauvi coins. He also showed me the laser/x ray images of the cheekpieces. I'll email him early next week and see if he'll share the images with this forum as they show alot of detail. With reference to the "bearded man" on one of the cheekpieces, it is belived to represent a parthian and the return of the captured standards from the battle of carrhae.
Richard Craig AKA Aulus Maximus
Cohors I Tungrorum
Cohors I Batavorum
http://blog.britishmuseum.org/2012/01/10...-unveiled/

Did anyone see the reply from the British Museum from their blog on Wednesday?
Yes, thats the one I mentioned, thanks!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:In november i was talking to Peter Liddle the County archaeologist for Leicestershire and he said the majority of the coins were local Coritauvi coins. He also showed me the laser/x ray images of the cheekpieces. I'll email him early next week and see if he'll share the images with this forum as they show alot of detail. With reference to the "bearded man" on one of the cheekpieces, it is belived to represent a parthian and the return of the captured standards from the battle of carrhae.

If you could twist his arm that would be GREAT!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Having seen many of the photos, the silver which is mentioned in the articles constantly eludes me.. I see rust, and a lot of it....
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Having seen many of the photos, the silver which is mentioned in the articles constantly eludes me.. I see rust, and a lot of it...

I had the same thoughts!
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
The scans i've seen show almost an xray image and believe me the details incredible, i'll talk to the man next week.
Richard Craig AKA Aulus Maximus
Cohors I Tungrorum
Cohors I Batavorum
All of these articles mention the silver and indeed we do see plenty of rust, the BM have not realy given a very good account about the silver.
However form an experience point of view I would say that the figures we see are the silver uncleaned and it may well be repousse (raised relief) from the weight aspect.
Brian Stobbs
I thought the x-rays were already out in a blogg somewhere?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Jurjen.
If I could get All the detais about it I would maybe have a go at it or even the Crosby Garrett, but then it all depends just how things go after my next op.

What has happened in regard to the Crosby garrett helmet. has it just disappeared completely now? Did anything ever come out about the finder or the buyer or what happened after the sale. Is it still in the UK? Anything I read about it on the net now is well over a year old.
I just remembered reading an article in a magazine a month or two after the auction, so I guess there was some initial discussion on the helmet shortly after the whole affair, but there seems to be nothing out there now- not even discussion on the significance of the find itself, never mind the circumstances surrounding its finding and its sale.
I must correct my earlier post:

It appears that a seventh cheek piece was assembled from fragments found together with the helmet. Also, we need not discuss the context of deposition further, it has been now been established:

"a selection of Roman helmets had been given to the tribe by the invading Romans" and they decided they had no use for them, so they buried them:

http://leicestershiremuseums.wordpress.c...-thickens/

Why didn't I think of that?
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
The tribespeople, not being in posession of their heads,
had no use for these objects.... :roll:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I would like to know if after ten years of what might be considered a good piece of restoration, has any archaeologist or conservator come up yet with a complete write up or paper on this helmet and so many cheek plates for we appear to be getting this story just a little bit at a time.
Brian Stobbs
It is now getting silly... How can anyone know why the helmets were

a: given to the tribesmen
b: discarded because they did not see any use for them

A votive context I could imagine, but not this.

Next thing we will hear is that king Arthur buried them.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hallaton Roman cavalry parade helmet recreated Marcus F. 4 139 04-15-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Hallaton Helmet Info....Help Doc 3 1,259 01-10-2014, 07:07 PM
Last Post: Vindex
  Hallaton Helmet Update jho 13 3,568 11-08-2011, 03:20 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs