Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Hallaton helmet
The date has subtly crept later than when first discovered, but here's the latest on this piece of cavalry headgear.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thanks Mike for highlighting this interesting piece.
I've also read the accompanying article.
Now I wonder why they came to the conclusion, that the helmet, or better: the whole find
indicated a "joint venture" of "locals" and Romans rather than a confrontation ( according
to the usual P.o.V.) ?

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
That is interesting Mike but where did anyone get the idea of those cheek plates in the drawing of it, I would have considered a complete wrap around face mask for I can't see any evidence of hinges at all.
Brian Stobbs
Thanks for the update on that Mike!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:The helmet would probably have been designed for ceremonial occasions
*sigh*
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
I think I would have put this helmet as being Cavalry Sports rather than Ceremonial.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:That is interesting Mike but where did anyone get the idea of those cheek plates in the drawing of it, I would have considered a complete wrap around face mask for I can't see any evidence of hinges at all.
It's a battle helmet, not a sports one. Two cheekpieces were found with it plus some spares(!), all decorated in the usual fashion.

Mike Bishop

I do get a bit annoyed when the reports state almost with some certainty that it was worn by a native fighting for Rome. It could just as easily have been taken as a trophy from a dead Roman, or bought from a trader, not evidence of fighting alongside the Romans.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
That may well be the case Mike but that does not prove that they belong to that particular helmet, for not only is there no evidence for hinges but the angle of the brow would indicate otherwise.
Where it has the same kind of theme as we find on the Xanten and it's neck guard is similar with it being horizontal, unlike the Xanten its brow area has a slope therefore it cannot have had cheek plates I would think.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:That may well be the case Mike but that does not prove that they belong to that particular helmet, for not only is there no evidence for hinges but the angle of the brow would indicate otherwise.
Where it has the same kind of theme as we find on the Xanten and it's neck guard is similar with it being horizontal, unlike the Xanten its brow area has a slope therefore it cannot have had cheek plates I would think.
I think we have to trust the BM's conservators to have restored it correctly. They are amongst the best in the world.

Mike Bishop

"The Hallaton Helmet will be displayed permanently at Harborough Museum, in Market Harborough, Leicestershire, from 28 January alongside the other finds from the site." So, presumably being seen by very few people as opposed to the BM or another major museum....(he said grumpily)
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
I am not really sure, but is it in this group?
CSI

It might also have been equipped with a mask, I think. But it´s all in the realm of speculation. As Mike said, we have to trust the conservators.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:So, presumably being seen by very few people as opposed to the BM or another major museum....(he said grumpily)

And, along with the rest of the Hallaton treasure, bringing in some much needed revenue to a local museum.

You grumpy old b*gger.
:wink:
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
And of course, entirely unrelated to the fact that I live in London and can pop into the BM at lunchtime....

Well, good luck to them. And guess where I'll be stopping for lunch next time I trog up the M1....
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
I do not question the abiliy of conservators I am only trying to point out just how this helmet would possibly not have had cheek pieces fitted.

With my reference to the type of decoration being similar to the Xanten, there is a very marked difference where the Xanten brow area is horizontal with its neck guard therefore it can carry cheek plates.

Where with this helmet the angle at the occiput looks to be in the region of around 120 to 130 degrees in relation to its neck guard and it is not horizontal, ie its brow area is angled upwards and any cheek plates would have horizontal hinge areas that cannot fit the helmet.
Indeed if we look at the drawing that has been added to the link shown the upward angle has been changed to the horizontal with its neck guard to make cheek plates fit, which looks very much like an assumption that the cheek plates found with the helmet belong to it. I would suggest that as the helmet was in bits when found it may well have been already ear marked as a recycle job.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hallaton Roman cavalry parade helmet recreated Marcus F. 4 101 04-15-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Hallaton Helmet Info....Help Doc 3 1,250 01-10-2014, 07:07 PM
Last Post: Vindex
  Hallaton Helmet Update jho 13 3,550 11-08-2011, 03:20 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs