Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What a Load of Rubbish!
Trash and Tombs in Pompeii

An interesting insight into everyday life in Pompeii before Vesuvius ruined everyones' day!

http://www.pasthorizonspr.com/index.php/...nd-in-hand
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Phew! When I saw your title, I thought it was a comment on the level of RAT discussion so far, Moi. Confusedhock:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
And I thought you (Dr Campbell) must have managed to make it through Punt PI
I'll be at the AIA Annual meeting, but set up with a display at the Archaeology Fair on Saturday January 7. I'm already planning to ask a couple friends to go to a couple presentations on Saturday to take notes!

And yes, peoples' discards and trash can say a lot about them. It says a lot about us modern folks, too! And, for example, digging through the latrine waste at Roman military sites has told us something of the soldiers' diets and also about their health, via finds of intestinal parasites and the like.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Saw the article elsewhere, but thanks for posting it here. Interesting!

And a great thread title! :-D
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Quote:Phew! When I saw your title, I thought it was a comment on the level of RAT discussion so far, Moi. Confusedhock:

As if I would!!!

Still think the Honey Cakes thread is the best one so far though... :wink:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:I'll be at the AIA Annual meeting, but set up with a display at the Archaeology Fair on Saturday January 7. I'm already planning to ask a couple friends to go to a couple presentations on Saturday to take notes!

May I please ask if you will share your friends' notes with us?
Moi Watson

Personally I do have a problem with Archaeology and what is so often readily dismissed as being trash. One of the shore forts namely Caister had evidence of what was identified as being rubbish being piled up and then faced off with a terracotta edge. Additionally there is the presence of coin hoards being placed in what is referred to as a static rubbish dump(Darling and Gurney 1993, 65-8).

This to me suggests something along the lines of votive offerings as typically the Romans dug pits for their rubbish; placing a terraced edge in front of rubbish when it would have been far less trouble to bury it seems pointless.

As votive offerings could include cooked, or uncooked food, plates, pots, and dishes broken or whole, Archaeologists revel in placing items in context. Therefore anything near to an obvious altar is an offering and everywhere else it is just trash.

Darling, M.J and Gurney, D. 1993 in P.Wade-Martins(ed.), Caister On Sea Excavations By Charles Green 1951-1955,65-68, East Anglian Archaeology, Report No60.
Tim

A hearty mixture of advice.

http://blog.mentalclarity.co.uk/
Quote:Personally I do have a problem with Archaeology and what is so often readily dismissed as being trash. One of the shore forts namely Caister had evidence of what was identified as being rubbish being piled up and then faced off with a terracotta edge. Additionally there is the presence of coin hoards being placed in what is referred to as a static rubbish dump(Darling and Gurney 1993, 65-8).

This to me suggests something along the lines of votive offerings as typically the Romans dug pits for their rubbish; placing a terraced edge in front of rubbish when it would have been far less trouble to bury it seems pointless.

As votive offerings could include cooked, or uncooked food, plates, pots, and dishes broken or whole, Archaeologists revel in placing items in context. Therefore anything near to an obvious altar is an offering and everywhere else it is just trash.

Darling, M.J and Gurney, D. 1993 in P.Wade-Martins(ed.), Caister On Sea Excavations By Charles Green 1951-1955,65-68, East Anglian Archaeology, Report No60.

Whilst I can agree with your comment in terms of having a problem with the interpretation of the archaeology as viewed at the time and with other references also available for comparison at the time, without context archaeology as a science - or an art - cannot exist.

Sometimes it is the context of the artefact rather than the artefact itself which is truly important.

And that's what makes it SUCH fun :wink:
Moi Watson

Well yes I did manage to grasp that concept about context :oops: and I can appreciate that every potential post hole has to be swiftly assessed before it dries out. It just seems that some published assessments are a tad flaky though of course it's so easy to be critical.
Tim

A hearty mixture of advice.

http://blog.mentalclarity.co.uk/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Onager - range/size/load Nathan Ross 15 6,594 04-02-2017, 04:33 PM
Last Post: metalbasher
  The History of the Soldier\'s Load ROMan 4 1,434 09-13-2013, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Kegluneq
  A load of old \'ballocks\' ? :) Memmia 3 1,566 02-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Memmia