Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kalkriese Lorica
Gaius do you have any photos of you wearing it? How does it feel when on? How is the movement? Whether or not those shoulder plates are accurate it is a fantastic piece of art and I would be proud to own it. Wonderful craftsmanship.
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Quote:I can
assure you the curved shouolder plates are placed both fron and rear, (which is visible on the website) and my photos, so it's not asymetrical.
So are you saying that the both front and rear plates of the upper shoulderguard aren't sharkfin-shaped? That's IMHO weird, too... :?
[attachment=2477]DSC01645_2012-01-04.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=2478]DSC01647_2012-01-04.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=2479]DSC01644_2012-01-04.JPG[/attachment]
Actually your right the shark fin shape at the back is correct. 8)
It grows on you.

Quote:egad, rounded? shades of Trajan's column...

Rich, I assume you disagree with every comparison of equipment to that portrayed in ancient records of the period? :wink:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks! Great pictures. Visually I think it works. Whether or not it is accurate is up for debate. For what it is worth (and it's not worth much) I tend to hold the view that the Kalkriese would have straps instead of the loops. I'd really love to see the shark-fin piece that was found but I would tend to think it would be the same shape front and back. If we are comparing to Trajan's Column wouldn't that be about 100 years to late for this type? Just goes to show how little we really know. I'd also think that it would be within reason to think all the shoulder and chest plates would be edged with brass, but that is really secondary to the shape of the plates. Reconstructing items like this really adds to our understanding and fosters discussion. Thanks for posting these pics.

Antony
Noo problem Jay!

Well I only make the comparison as this is the first evidence I have seen
Associated with a seg with curved plates related to the shoulder plates. And don't forget they often portrY archaic equipment on the reliefs and statues. Just a thought anyway!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I just hate to think those Cine Cita Romans have some basis for their razberries.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Well to be honest, I find it hard to believe the artist (or the people who comissioned the works),had no idea what any military equipment actually looked like.
Considering we have access to a fraction of what they did, I wonder who is doing more guess work.
Still the idea would not be totally out there seeing the drawings of the recnt plate finds.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
Artem post=303081 Wrote:They've placed the sharkfin-shaped piece to the back of the reconstruction: http://www.replik-online.de/de/shop/bild..._rrw2e.jpg Wink
Thereby making it asymmetrical?! Weird! As Spock might say, illogical, too.

Mike Bishop

Well, not totally illogical. Most reconstructions I've seen have the back plates shorter than the front. At least it would appear so to me.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I know the recent finds haven't been published but are any photos or drawings available? Although I guess that would make them published :lol:

Antony
Hmmm, I can't recall if I posted them in the thread about
This armour! I'll have to check! If not I will have to ask if I can post them!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Well to be honest, I find it hard to believe the artist (or the people who comissioned the works),had no idea what any military equipment actually looked like.
Me too. However, it's clear that he stylized a lot of what he portrayed. That does not make it wrong of course, but at least generalised.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Was permission granted? :grin:

Any chance to see it on you? I'd love to see how it "hangs" when worn.

Antony
It is awaiting repairs.... :oops: :oops: I was a bit too energetic
pulling on a strap and wrecked a buckle... :roll:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote: I was a bit too energetic pulling on a strap and wrecked a buckle... :roll:
Already?? Confusedhock: Quality issue or unexpected superpowers? :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Armae: constructing a Kalkriese lorica segmentata Tarbicus 13 3,152 03-05-2013, 02:28 AM
Last Post: ANTONIVS MAGNVS