Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pointers to Roman period historical novels
Hi.<br>
<br>
Finding good historical novels set in Rome becames increasingly difficult after each visit to a good bookshop or Amazon... but luckily there appears to be plenty of possible choices left - or so it seems after a recent search on net. I found several good websites full of info (or at least catalogues) of possible future purchases. Too bad that it seems more difficult to find reliable reviews of books...<br>
<br>
Still, if anybody is interested below are some website addresses for pointers on good books set in Rome. Including some commentary of the contents (by me).<br>
<br>
www.historical-novels.com/rome.html<br>
Quite an extensive list of novels set in ancient Rome (about 150 or so). Includes a short description of the novel in addition to name and author (also approximate time period, nice touch that). Unfortunately the description does not help in deciding whether the book is worth reading or not, it mainly helps in getting pointers for possibly interesting ones.<br>
<br>
spotlightongames.com/roman/english.html<br>
A very nice list of Roman detective stories (or mystery stories, if you prefer) arranged according to author. Some of the books are rated (not many), but apparently the reviewer's taste differs from mine. A very useful place for checking the correct order of a series. Only gripe is the design of the site, did not like...<br>
[spotlightongames.com/roman/time.html] - novels in time line<br>
<br>
www.rebecca-east.com/books.html<br>
Rebecca East's list of favourite historical fiction books set in Rome. Concentrates on Pompeii (understandably, East's own novel is set there - haven't read). Personal opinions are nice as they give some insight whether the dook is worth reading. Some good links.<br>
<br>
ccat.sas.upenn.edu/jod/texts/fogel.html<br>
A set of miscellaneous lists of books, mainly of a bit older variety (mainly pre-1980s). Not very useful for, but if your taste runs to more wholesome books then you might find something interesting.<br>
<br>
loki.stockton.edu/~roman/fiction/<br>
Plenty of good stuff about Roman times. In addition to a list of books set in Rome there are essays on ancient Rome and historical fiction in general. Especially interesting one is about law and order in Rome [www.stockton.edu/~roman/f...eslaw1.htm].<br>
Extensive list of authors (of which some are reviewed) can be found in [www.stockton.edu/~roman/f...eviews.htm]. There are quite a lot of reviews of books, and while the quality varies widely they are very useful for finding readable books.<br>
There is also an interesting timeline of Roman history and respective historical novels. [www.stockton.edu/~roman/f...essay1.htm]<br>
All in all, a great site to visit.<br>
<br>
- cheers, prantasa<br>
<p></p><i></i>
I'll also recommend Steven Saylor's own sites:<br>
<br>
www.stevensaylor.com/Stev...kshop.html<br>
<br>
with a lot of hard to find books. <p>Legio XX<br>
Caput dolet, pedes fetent, Iesum non amo<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Thanks Prantasa and Rich!<br>
<br>
There's also the Historical Novel Society aims to review as many historical novels as possible, plus has articles on authors etc. Details at:<br>
<br>
www.historicalnovelsociety.org/ <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peake historical novels \"Marching with Caesar\" visegrip 1 1,333 03-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Last Post: arklore70
  An abundance of Roman novels! Nathan Ross 48 11,239 06-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Alanus
  Most historically accurate Roman Army novels? benglish05 14 6,470 01-28-2011, 12:36 AM
Last Post: Medusa Gladiatrix