Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did the Greeks ever adopt foreign equipment ..
Quote:
Quote:When the great Keltic invasions occurred there must have been some effect upon Greek tactics and equipment?

The adoption of the Thureos is thought by many to be a direct consequence of this, though I must admit I am curious about a route directly from Italy Via Cleonymus, Pyrrhus or the other adventurers.

That is exactly what I was getting at. Mind you perhaps by then, regular direct interference in overseas territories was more common - which helps link the Italiote, Epeirote and Lakedaimonian aspirators; but the Keltic (or Celtic) intrusion is an interesting one. Of course The Spartans had used Keltic mercenaries before (supplied I think by Syracuse?) and these peoples may well have thought about returning to Hellas one day - but not as paid fighters - but as potential conquerors.
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]

Messages In This Thread
Re: Did the Greeks ever adopt foreign equipment .. - by Ghostmojo - 01-13-2012, 05:58 PM