Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did the Greeks ever adopt foreign equipment ..
I'm not so sure about that. It is a very wide subject really.

The Greek alphabet was certainly related to those of the near east, as were much of their proto-religious ideas. They also drew from Egypt which had been the preeminent power in earlier times, and the Greeks came into contact with them often, and not just because of their colony in Kyrene. Herodotos was clear on the religious connections with Egypt.

Again, I'm not sure you could consider it being on the periphery of the civilised world, bearing in mind it was fairly central in the Mediterranean; sat between the expanding powers of Carthage and Persia - and earlier it had been the seat of both Mykenaian (Mycenaean) and Minoan cultures which were in themselves quite widespread in terms of trade and cultural influence.

I think you can detect some slight influence of Assyrian equipment and armour, helmets etc. in very early archaic and Helladic gear, possibly via Phrygia, Anatolia and the Greeks of Kypros.
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]

Messages In This Thread
Re: Did the Greeks ever adopt foreign equipment .. - by Ghostmojo - 11-29-2011, 01:32 AM