Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who were the guards at the gladiator school?
I too think, that former gladiators would be a possibility to be guards at a ludus. What else could they do except for opening a tavern etc. because being a(n ex-)gladiator put them in the status of infamis which does not leave them many options. What abilities does a gladiator have? Fighting - so a guard who could fight if needed to would be good. Also spending many years at a ludus he is used to it, it is his environment where he feels secure, the outside world might be somewhat frightening because he's not used to it anymore.

But as said above, these are all assumptions. So far, I can't remember that any of the books on gladiators I've read (and they are tons Wink ) mentioned who the guards were (except for the aforementioned Osprey book which contains many errors BTW)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Who were the guards at the gladiator school? - by Medusa Gladiatrix - 10-21-2011, 07:08 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gladiator school found near Vienna Epictetus 14 5,767 10-22-2012, 05:35 AM
Last Post: Decimus Brutius Varus
  Trident Gladiator-School Augusta Raurica Aurelianus 2 2,098 02-13-2007, 11:09 AM
Last Post: Conal
  Thraex-Sicca Gladiator-School Augusta Raurica Aurelianus 1 1,759 01-29-2007, 06:27 PM
Last Post: Martin Kealey