Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HUGE collection of military equipment
I have just been made aware of this private museum in France. They have a truly HUGE collection of Roman and Greek military equipment:

www.mouginsmusee.com

(click on "armoury"). A lot of the Roman stuff appears to be ex-Guttmann but there are also many items I have never seen before.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Quote:A lot of the Roman stuff appears to be ex-Guttmann but there are also many items I have never seen before.
Indeed! I recognise several helmets.

Is this one real?? Confusedhock: Confusedhock:
[Image: 1.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Jens Horstkotte post=295029 Wrote:A lot of the Roman stuff appears to be ex-Guttmann but there are also many items I have never seen before.
Indeed! I recognise several helmets.

Is this one real?? Confusedhock: Confusedhock:

was it found near a little village on the coast of Gaul, one which is the only one still resiting Romes might? Obilex probably had loads of these :roll:
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Can`t be real or I will quit re-enactment!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Very Very Very interesting! Thanks for the link :-)
Samuel J.
Great Caesar's Ghost! That looks like the original Troopervs Helmetvs!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I've actually never seen anything like the helmet in the picture displayed :? sorry :-( But proves craftsmanship wasn't great then once again. The metal linings on the cheek guards are really rough Confusedhock: Nice helmet though, especially for whatever it's age is Wink

Sam
Samuel J.
It may very well not be as old as they want us to think it is. :? :!:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I remember reading about this a couple of years ago.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2011/m...nch-museum
It's Christian Levett's personal collection of 'stuff' that he's aquired and built a museum for....which is a good thing as most private collectors like to keep it all to themselves.

Levett's no. 22 on the world's 'Rich List' and is either 'Working Class Essex boy done well' or 'Evil, world economy destroying Hedge Fund manager'...depending on how you feel about people that pay themselves £90 million a year whilst your job and pension disappear into the ether.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Quote:It may very well not be as old as they want us to think it is. :? :!:

The helmet bowl certainly seems to have something of the 'modern soviet' about it.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Quote:
M. Demetrius post=295045 Wrote:It may very well not be as old as they want us to think it is. :? :!:

The helmet bowl certainly seems to have something of the 'modern soviet' about it.

Ahhh, that's it!!!!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Wow, I'm disapointed. I drove past that town on my trip through Europe this summer, and on my way to Arles & Nimes, and didn't even know it existed. Cry Guess maybe I'll be there again in another 10 years......sigh
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Also, it shows two of the strangest-looking Corinthians I've ever seen.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  20th Roman Military Equipment Conference (ROMEC XX) in Cologne Eleatic Guest 0 961 06-22-2019, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  Journal of Roman Military Equipment Studies vol 11 Thomas Aagaard 4 3,751 05-09-2017, 08:27 AM
Last Post: Julian Parthicus
  Catalogue of Military Equipment from Pompeji jho 1 1,984 07-14-2015, 11:15 AM
Last Post: jvrjenivs