RomanArmyTalk
HUGE collection of military equipment - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: HUGE collection of military equipment (/showthread.php?tid=19448)

HUGE collection of military equipment - jho - 09-01-2011

I have just been made aware of this private museum in France. They have a truly HUGE collection of Roman and Greek military equipment:

www.mouginsmusee.com

(click on "armoury"). A lot of the Roman stuff appears to be ex-Guttmann but there are also many items I have never seen before.

Re: HUGE collection of military equipment - Robert Vermaat - 09-01-2011

Quote:A lot of the Roman stuff appears to be ex-Guttmann but there are also many items I have never seen before.
Indeed! I recognise several helmets.

Is this one real?? Confusedhock: Confusedhock:
[Image: 1.jpg]

Re: HUGE collection of military equipment - Conal - 09-01-2011

Quote:
Jens Horstkotte post=295029 Wrote:A lot of the Roman stuff appears to be ex-Guttmann but there are also many items I have never seen before.
Indeed! I recognise several helmets.

Is this one real?? Confusedhock: Confusedhock:

was it found near a little village on the coast of Gaul, one which is the only one still resiting Romes might? Obilex probably had loads of these :roll:

Re: HUGE collection of military equipment - Virilis - 09-01-2011

Can`t be real or I will quit re-enactment!

Re: HUGE collection of military equipment - Titus Marius Secundus - 09-01-2011

Very Very Very interesting! Thanks for the link :-)

Re: HUGE collection of military equipment - M. Demetrius - 09-01-2011

Great Caesar's Ghost! That looks like the original Troopervs Helmetvs!

Re: HUGE collection of military equipment - Titus Marius Secundus - 09-01-2011

I've actually never seen anything like the helmet in the picture displayed :? sorry :-( But proves craftsmanship wasn't great then once again. The metal linings on the cheek guards are really rough Confusedhock: Nice helmet though, especially for whatever it's age is Wink

Sam

Re: HUGE collection of military equipment - M. Demetrius - 09-01-2011

It may very well not be as old as they want us to think it is. :? :!:

Re: HUGE collection of military equipment - Medicus matt - 09-01-2011

I remember reading about this a couple of years ago.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2011/mar/27/compulsive-art-collector-french-museum
It's Christian Levett's personal collection of 'stuff' that he's aquired and built a museum for....which is a good thing as most private collectors like to keep it all to themselves.

Levett's no. 22 on the world's 'Rich List' and is either 'Working Class Essex boy done well' or 'Evil, world economy destroying Hedge Fund manager'...depending on how you feel about people that pay themselves £90 million a year whilst your job and pension disappear into the ether.

Re: HUGE collection of military equipment - Medicus matt - 09-01-2011

Quote:It may very well not be as old as they want us to think it is. :? :!:

The helmet bowl certainly seems to have something of the 'modern soviet' about it.

Re: HUGE collection of military equipment - Gaius Julius Caesar - 09-02-2011

Quote:
M. Demetrius post=295045 Wrote:It may very well not be as old as they want us to think it is. :? :!:

The helmet bowl certainly seems to have something of the 'modern soviet' about it.

Ahhh, that's it!!!!

Re: HUGE collection of military equipment - markusaurelius - 09-02-2011

Wow, I'm disapointed. I drove past that town on my trip through Europe this summer, and on my way to Arles & Nimes, and didn't even know it existed. Cry Guess maybe I'll be there again in another 10 years......sigh

Re: HUGE collection of military equipment - john roberts - 09-12-2011

Also, it shows two of the strangest-looking Corinthians I've ever seen.