Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Alexander the Great had gone south
Into central Africa rather than east to India? What would be the result today?
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
The European imperial armies would still have come in and carved pieces out for themselves in the 19th century. The only difference would be more African towns called Alexandria.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Could the result have been something like the Seleucid Empire in Africa? I suppose it is possible, but there would be some significant problems to overcome.

What about contact with a wider Greek world? Trade and other contact would have to go through the Sahara, through Egypt or perhaps along one of the shorelines. If such routes were difficult, the growth of material wealth and the transmission of culture would be stunted.

Then there are societal problems. I don't know about the urbanisation phase of central Africa at the time. For a Greek-influenced urban society to develop, would the area first have to go through a proto-urban phase?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:Into central Africa rather than east to India? What would be the result today?
To what possible end would he have done that? To find Hi Brasil or something? While Persia was *the* opponent to beat, after which a natural move into Asia presented itself, what reason would Alexander have had to go south after pacifying Egypt? A move West into Europe would be a more logical course (but with hardly a worthy opponent, other than perhaps the Greek colonies scattered around the Mediterranean).
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
His long term plan was to go west wasn't it? An aspiration Pyrrhos inherited. My view is that had he lived he may well have taken on Carthage (via Spain and from Egypt) and made the Mediterranean a long term Makedonian rather than Roman sea. Had Alexander not died in Babylon and survived into a ripe old age - returned to Greece and modified some of his more eccentric behaviour - developing lasting institutions in the western Hellenistic world, then the gradual Romanisation of Europe might never have happened ... well, not in quite the same way.
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Head of Alexander the Great?? Arthes 1 775 07-10-2006, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Comerus Gallus
  Alexander the Great Wants Muzzaguchi 2 1,009 07-17-2003, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Anonymous
  Alexander the Great x 2 rekirts 12 2,544 06-23-2003, 02:53 AM
Last Post: Gaius Decius Aquilius