Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Late Roman Army Grade/Rank List under Anastasius
Robert, I think they could be. If we take the Armenian/Iberian example I referred to earlier then Sagittarii would be the logical type.  Nathan's list earlier seems to point to frontier/burgarii associations which would again suppose light horse.

I think Pavkovic's point was that legionary horsemen were capable of being graded or used in at least 2 distinct battlefield roles: the contati or lancer and the loricati or heavily-armoured cataphract. If the Perge Edict refers to a frontier legion formally raised up into the field army, then it would instead utilise light 'hunting' cavalry - a portion of which were equipped for more direct engagement. That's where I wondered about the grade difference among the veredarii. As I understand the normal legionary cavalry structure prior to the reforms, centurions commanded the promoti so here would not the one of the Ordinarii command the tactical cavalry troop attached to its parent century?

If the Perge legion has 10 infantry sub-units or centuries then it follows (as Nathan has posted earlier) there will be 10 equivalent attached cavalry units. However, if we play a game here and use the 50 veredarii as a separate cavalry type (following Pavkovic - perhaps armoured horse-archers?) and attach it to the first century we have 225 veredarii troopers remaining which splits nicely into 9 cavalry turma of 25 troopers. These are attached to the remaining 9 centuries. The first Turma is a double-strength Turma of Veredarii and is perhaps a remnant of the cavalry as it stood when the cohortal structure had a double-strength First Cohort. These figures are minus the commanding Ordinarii, Vexillarii and other supernumeraries, of course.

Now my head hurts . . .
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii

Messages In This Thread
RE: Late Roman Army Grade/Rank List under Anastasius - by Longovicium - 06-30-2017, 02:46 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Army during the 5th century Robert Vermaat 89 17,555 01-11-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Magister_Officiorum13241
  Late Roman Army Ranks - Numeri/Limitanei jmsilvacross 14 1,848 11-17-2021, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Steven James
  Roman camps UK - is there a database or list? Steve Kaye 55 11,142 01-28-2021, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Alan316