Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brass work for Gladius in process.
I would agree with Crispvs about Museums and also photographs of things only showing one view, when I first every made the Fulham sword I payed for photographs from the British Museum. In fact I even got them to make exact one to one shots of the upper and mid decoration pieces which I can draw onto tracing paper for when I do hand worked repousse.
For these particular pieces I use 8 thou' of an inch thick brass sheet and as I have mentioned, where I trace the picture onto the brass sheet this is the kind of work that I would think anyone can do if they have even just a little artistic ability.
With the picture transfered to the brass sheet it is where one scibes the lines with the metal placed onto a piece of leather, then useing hand rubbing at front and rear of the brass on soft leather a picture will emerge it's all a matter of patience and practice.
When the work is finished and from the fact it is only 8 thou' thick a good tip is to fill the rear with solder to help support the picture and this works well however it should be mentioned that the Fulham decoration is not filled.
Brian Stobbs

Messages In This Thread
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Joe - 08-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Doc - 08-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Doc - 08-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by PhilusEstilius - 11-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Doc - 12-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Charl - 03-07-2012, 07:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pompeii Gladius and Scabbard - Work in Progress sulla felix 71 12,588 03-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Robert