Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pompeii Gladius and Scabbard - Work in Progress
I though that I should share progress on one of my latest projects which is a pompeii gladius and scabbard. The blade, handle parts and scabbard timber was supplied by Matt Lukes in unfinished "kit" format for me to mess up!

Here is the blade that is forged complete with the interesting flared tip. With expert guidance from Matt I used a metal file to finish the blade which was first drawn at 45 degrees down the face of all sides of the blade to get them reasonably flat, and then finished with the file at 90 degrees to give a nice even finish.

[Image: DSCF0198.jpg]

[Image: DSCF0199.jpg]
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
The grip is made from bone and here it is in place after the first rough shaping on the blade with the blank hand grip and pommel elements.

[Image: DSCF0208.jpg]
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
thats a lovely blade you got, Barry. Looking forward to more pictures!
ALA I BATAVORUM
And here is a close up of that
[Image: DSCF0209.jpg]

and now the had grip and pommel shaped

[Image: DSCF0211.jpg]
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Onto the scabbard - here is a picture of the wooden scabbard initially shaped - this was taken before I had shaped the handle parts obviously!

[Image: DSCF0207.jpg]

The Locket and Chape I am trying to copy are based on these two original pieces

[Image: zwaardschedeNMGN2.jpg]

[Image: zwaardschedeNMGNhunnerberg.jpg]
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
This is the first upper part of the Locket plate which I basically traced onto flat sheet brass and then punched and filed for the cut outs, and then used shaped masonry nails for finer engraving /punching the design.

[Image: DSCF0232.jpg]

And here is the completed Lcket plate in position on the wooden scabbard

[Image: DSCF0234.jpg]

And a close up

[Image: DSCF0237.jpg]
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Here is the Chape piece again made using the same process as the Locket

[Image: ChapePiece1.jpg]

And the parts of the chape formed

[Image: ChapePiece2.jpg]

And assembled, but not fully cleaned up

[Image: ChapeAssembled.jpg]
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
And finally for now the Locket tinned and assembled. I still need to work on neater rivetting for sure!

[Image: LocketAssembledandTinned.jpg]

More when I make further progress!
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Really Cool. I started on this one also a long time ago, but put it into 'to do' box as it was to diffucult to get it nice, back then. You're making me jealous. I'm working on a Mainz type right now, but I think I now know which kind of sword the next will be. (Although I've to make a 4th century scabbard first).

Laudes!
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thanks!

It is a lot of work, especially the punching out of the plates, and a number of times I asked myself why I had started the project!

I could not have got this far without the advice and guidance of Matt Lukes, and yes the blade is awesome. Matt's work on forging blades is really superb!

Look forward to seeing the Mainz progress.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Nice work again Baz!
Looks like you take the reverse approach that I would on tackling a sword project! Tongue
I could manage the wood for the scabbard, but the rest would be where I would go wrong lol
Wearing this in Rome?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks Byron.

Not sure if this will be the chosen weapon for Rome, but I will be there!
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Barry,

That is excellent work. At some point I would like to attempt such a decoration just to see if I could do it. How thick is the brass sheet you used? I was thinking of .5mm as since this is the approximate thickness of original lockets and chapes-I think?
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Oh, I also would like to second your opinion about Matt Lukes' forged blades. Simply put, they are the best and most accurate that I have seen.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Thanks!

Yes I used 0.5 mm brass sheet which seems to be approximately the thickness of some surviving lockets as you say.

Good luck with the project. I found that spending time getting an accurately sized print out of the actual locket paid off and I made what was in effect a stencil to mark the cut out parts of the design. The rest was drawn free hand.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,717 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Searching For Scabbard and Gladius PARTS Pointer 19 5,067 02-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  Gladius Type - Pompeii or Mainz? Gatorsailor 12 3,634 02-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs