Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brass work for Gladius in process.
If I understand your setup correctly, here is an idea...

take a 2x4 (or whatever is lying around) and cut a channel into it at exactly the same width as your strip of metal, and at least as long as your stamp width.

Then mount the female stamp inside this channel and check that it will stamp a level line when you drop your brass strip into the channel. Get everything locked down with screws or epoxy and check it again for levelness.

Now you just press, slide the metal 1/2 the width of the stamp, press, slide the metal 1/2 the width of the stamp, press, ....etc.

The channel in the wood stops the metal from twisting around too much, and using the 1/2 overlap helps each stamping to line up with the last one.

If I was doing similar work, I would make the female stamp directly in the wooden channel - depending on how much time you spent making yours it might be easier to just re-do it rather than mounting it into the wooden channel.

Edit: obviously this assumes that your male stamp is the exact same size as the female one so that it will fit into the channel...
--------
Ross

[url="http://galeforcearmoury.blogspot.com"] Working on a segmentata.[/url]

Messages In This Thread
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Joe - 08-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Doc - 08-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Doc - 08-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Ventus Draconis - 09-22-2011, 01:53 AM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Doc - 12-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Charl - 03-07-2012, 07:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pompeii Gladius and Scabbard - Work in Progress sulla felix 71 12,587 03-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Robert